MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used zafira 02 plate from a private seller its a 1.8 litre petrol.
I think I may of been tricked into buying s bad car its only got 91,000 miles and full years mot but after a day of owning it it started juddering and losing power around 2 -2500 rpm in any gear then it sorted itself out amd drove fine so didnt think much of it. The next day its started then its brought the engine light up and juddering severely and much worse than before and not at a specific rpm. Im not sure what it could he but dont want it to be an expensive fix.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is it difficult to start? When starting does it just turn over and then catch?

If so it could well be the crank or camshaft sensor. My wifes Vectra had very similar symptoms, it would rev to 2500 and then just hold back. Basically it sounds like the car is in limp mode as its having to guess where the crank/cam is at a given time.

Check the wiring as that was what was wrong with the Vectra, all the insulation had worn off and there were wires touching in the sensors loom. Its a pretty common issue on most 18XE & 18XEV engines and a relatively easy fix and cheap fix if that what the issue is.

If the management light is on most garages should be able to diagnose it by the error codes stored in the ECU.

·
Registered
mg_zr
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it starts easy I thought it could be a coil pack at fault or the maf sensor but ill have to get it checked out to find out what I just want to narrow down all my possibilites. Also occasionally when you first start it it revs itself for no reason about 500 more then down thwn up then stops.

·
Registered
mg_zr
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Qui k update got the faults with the pedal test you can do mass airflow circuit high input cylinder 1 misfire iac high input and exhuast lean. I unplugged tge maf and it run better not perfect but better plugged it in and tge engine lights gone off. Gonna change air filter and clean maf or replace and see how it goes. The maf and lean exhuastvand misfire coukd be related. Doesnt seem like an expensive fix though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts