MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Ive just purchased a S/H Rover 114 P Reg and have noticed a problem with it.

I was driving along and noticed the temp gauge going up abit probably to just over half way, then when we stopped the fan was running for ages but thought nothing of it. Then when we came out the shops I noticed a puddle of water under the car, I checked the car and where you put in the water it seemed to be leaking from there (although could be wrong) and the lid was very hot and as soon as it started to undo the water would bubble up so I would have to keep closing it and then undoing it again.

I dont know much about cars so if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

thanks

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Sounds to me to be the expansion tank cap is faulty. If you take it off and tip it upside down then there should be a brass thing in the lid. If it's to one side it's had it and could do with been changed. It only cost's about a quid or two so dont be tempted to go and get a second hand one either. If thats does not work then it's down to a problem with a coolant valve, thermostat or waterpump but do the above first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, will check it out tomorrow so could the temp going up really be caused but a cap? I was thinking more along the lines of thermostat or something.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
The temperature is going up because the water is boiling.

There are a couple of things it could be..

First as already stated, Expansion tank cap, as the system does not pressurize it means the water boils at a much lower temp (100c) It is higher under pressure.

Head gasket failure.. Exhaust gasses are getting into your coolant, causing it to bubble (Not boil) A giveaway is to smell the coolant, does it smell like coolant or an exhaust.

Thermostat.. These usually fail open not closed, so realistically would not cause your coolant to boil rather it would over cool.

Blocked coolant system, causing back pressure, usual suspect is radiator.. Give the system a good flush out and then bleed it to get the air out using the bleed screw on the thermostat pipe.

Faulty expansion tank.. As its a pressurized system and similar to the cap, if its cracked around the seal.. it will cause pressure to escape.

Do a few tests.. Get the car warm.. it should not bubble from cold.. squeeze the top and bottom hose.. does it feel pressurized? The bottom hose where it joins the thermostat pipe should be cold at first with the top hose hot, then as the engine gets hotter, it should start to get hotter as the thermostat opens. Neither should feel over pressurized or hard to squeeze, this suggests exhaust gasses

You can have your car tested at any garage using a compression tester to check for Head gasket failure, or a sniffer which looks for exhaust gas in the coolant.

Go through the cap exchange first..like sejin advised, a couple of quid and might solve your problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Sean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok checked the cap and its fine, also checked the dip stick and cap for oil and that fine too but smelling the coolant does smell of exhaust fumes so what now, is this an expensive fix have I been ripped off?

thanks

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
Its pretty difficult to diagnose a problem on line rather than seeing a car face to face but at this point, I would probably take it to a garage for a compression test (Or buy the meter yourself they are pretty cheap and screw into your spark plug holes) What you are measuring is the actual compression of each piston, they should all read about the same, any difference will suggest a leak in the head gasket or Inlet manifold gasket..

What it sounds like is that the head gasket is leaking not between water ways and oil channels but from a piston into a water channel which causes the bubbling and smell you have stated. or the inlet manifold is leaking gas into the coolant (This is a lot cheaper and quicker to repair)

If it is the head gasket, really it is up to you as to how its going to be repaired... if at all, DIY will cost you anything from £30 if you have the tool to £100 + depending on what you are going to replace.

As a guide when a head gasket is replaced, it is customary to do:
A)Head gasket, Camcover gasket, inlet manifold gasket (original sets are around £40 or £60 for land rover set including inlet manifold and rocker gasket (Or camshaft cover)
B)Thermostat (Less than a tenna)
C)Water pump (Around £40/£50)
D)Cambelt & tensioner. (Around £40)

Most of that you can get off ebay. Also its important you get the uprated landrover gasket not the original rover beaded design.

If you have it done at a garage you should be looking in the region of £300/£350 Anything more and they are ripping you off (Head might need skimming though, but it might not)

Of course, it still might be the expansion tank cap.. but with you saying the smell.. I'm sorry to say, you now might be looking at the worse.

Let us know how you get on.

Sean

·
Registered
974 Posts
i got the same problem dude, i keep a 2ltr bottle of water in my car for everytime now, i had the problem today, saw steam coming from my car and a puddle and stream running down the carpark. water being forced out the top of the water bottle. i put clean water in and it ends up craped up. where is a gd place to get a new bottle cap? halfords?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok just a bit of an update.

I could be wrong about the smell as dad checked it and says it smells fine, theres no mayo in oil dipstick or in oil cap. The bubbling I mentioned is just when I open the cap and the pressure is released other than that theres nothing when car is running so I think I gave you a red herring there...sorry :(

Engine sounds great, runs great apart from this so maybe im just getting worried about HGF when it could be something simple so heres an update to maybe help diagnose abit better.

I replaced the bottle cap as instructed and left it at that, then the last 2 weeks its be fine, traveling to and from work no problems with over heating but then on Saturday again the temp shot up and I noticed it leaking and fan being on and the air out the heater was still hot(not sure of relevance but heard people ask). So drove back home and it was up and down like a yo yo.

When I got home I opened the bleed valve at top back of engine and loads of steam came out, I topped up the water level and left it to sit. Then Sunday went out, done 30 miles no prob but on way back literally for about 10 seconds the temp guage shot up to 3/4 way and then straight back to normal again and since then its been fine (done probably another 100 miles).

I havent phoned garage yet as Ive brought some Rad flush to clean out the system hoping its just a blockage and will do that Thursday to flush the system on Saturday and then see what happens.

If any of the above helps any more then please put my mind at rest, cant afford £300+ for new HG

Also How can I tell if its a 8 or 16v and if its a K? Series engine as when I called a garage they said I need all those details first. Its a P reg 1.4 GSi if that helps.

thanks in advance

T

·
Registered
73 Posts
You know this could just be a faulty gauge sender if your not seeing any leaks now. When you open the top and bottom bled points your going to get coolant out. Just remember these engines are a pig to fill and bleed so just take your time. Let sus know how you get on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well just had car checked yesterday at the garage and they confirmed it is a HGF, ive only had the car 3 weeks so they said the previous owner most definately knew about it so the guy ripped me off.

Its going to cost me around £375 but more if the head needs skimming.

Well stressed now, If I pay the money and get it repaired, whats the likely hood of it happening again?

thanks

·
Registered
rover_100
146 Posts
Well just had car checked yesterday at the garage and they confirmed it is a HGF, ive only had the car 3 weeks so they said the previous owner most definately knew about it so the guy ripped me off.

Its going to cost me around £375 but more if the head needs skimming.

Well stressed now, If I pay the money and get it repaired, whats the likely hood of it happening again?

thanks
I presume it was a private sale ?

chance happening again ? if they use the upgraded parts, then much less likely happening again - main thing is, make sure they find the reason it failed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah was a private sale just a shame didnt notice any problems with it when taking the car out and stuff :(

How do you mean find out what caused it, surely the garage would check that when repairing wouldnt they? and what are the upgraded parts, the garage just said that quote to fix it and thats it, he never asked what parts :(

·
Registered
rover_100
233 Posts
The upgraded parts are the MLS head gasket from Land Rover or Payen (maybe it's the same gasket and slightly cheaper) and the oil rail (inside the sump where the 10 big screws tighten) also from Land Rover.

Then the thermostat and reservoir cap should be changed and possibly also the water pump (and cambelt with its tensioner).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts