MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi GuysI hope someone can give me advise about orbital polishers. I have always polished by hand but this year I got a polishing machine for my birthday. Its branded as RAC, but probably made in China has 10 inch disk about an inch thick made of 2 different types of foam. It is mains driven with far to short a cable and is 2 handed. I guess this machine is not any great shakes but it may save me some time on my daily drivers, never my Vette.I tried it over the weekend but seem to have problems in getting an even coat of wax on the car, in the end I was putting a small amount on the terry cloth 'boot' and spreading it around with a knife.Any help on how to get the best out of these polishers would be gratefully receivedBarry

·
Registered
7,688 Posts
Dude that's more a buffer then a polisher. I use it for applying SRP at speed cus you get better product spread, but don't expect to be able to use it for deswirling. Will do a decent job of filling though :)
Best thing it to get some AG super resin polish, make an X in the centre of the bonnet then spread it in a 2x2 foot square. Start the buffer and work across the panel first, slowly, back and forth, then up and down the panel, gentle pressure all the time still the polish hazes over then goes kinda clear. Buff gently with a soft microfibre to bring up a decent shine. Think of it as a faster way of applying polish with the effect of hand polishing, only faster, and expect a little arm ache cus it vibrates like a wazzock when you lift of the pressure. :)
I'd do wax using an applicator by hand, needs light work and thin layers for the best effect. The buffer won't be able to do it as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude that's more a buffer then a polisher. I use it for applying SRP at speed cus you get better product spread, but don't expect to be able to use it for deswirling. Will do a decent job of filling though :)
Best thing it to get some AG super resin polish, make an X in the centre of the bonnet then spread it in a 2x2 foot square. Start the buffer and work across the panel first, slowly, back and forth, then up and down the panel, gentle pressure all the time still the polish hazes over then goes kinda clear. Buff gently with a soft microfibre to bring up a decent shine. Think of it as a faster way of applying polish with the effect of hand polishing, only faster, and expect a little arm ache cus it vibrates like a wazzock when you lift of the pressure. :)
I'd do wax using an applicator by hand, needs light work and thin layers for the best effect. The buffer won't be able to do it as well.
Sorry to be a bit dense, but are you saying put the polish on the panel and then spread it with the polisher: I say this because in the instructions it says "never put the polish directlly on the car".

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
Try and apply the polish to the pad evenly in small dots or in the shape of a cross, then using a trigger spray, spray a little water onto the pad, this will allow it to spread further and work a little longer.

The problem with applying direct to panel is that when the edge of the pad hits the polish it can cause sling, leaving lovely white polish dots on your windscreen and areas you've just done :(

hth

Andy

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try and apply the polish to the pad evenly in small dots or in the shape of a cross, then using a trigger spray, spray a little water onto the pad, this will allow it to spread further and work a little longer.

The problem with applying direct to panel is that when the edge of the pad hits the polish it can cause sling, leaving lovely white polish dots on your windscreen and areas you've just done :(

hth

Andy
Thanks for all of the help guys, I will try it this weekendBarry

·
Registered
rover_75
227 Posts

hth

Andy
Not to mention your white shirt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts