MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my car is over heating the temp gauge just goes to the red ive replaced the radiator and thermostat and ive bled the system. the heating works but it takes a long time for the radiator to warm up like 15-20mins ticking over and thats just to get it warm.
could it be the water pump?
or dare i say it hgf?
thanks
also i noticed oil on the sides of the engine but it looks like its soming from a head gasket its not the cam cover gasket cas thats spotless but go lower and its coverd in oil

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
mgfmaddness said:
my car is over heating the temp gauge just goes to the red ive replaced the radiator and thermostat and ive bled the system. the heating works but it takes a long time for the radiator to warm up like 15-20mins ticking over and thats just to get it warm.
could it be the water pump?
or dare i say it hgf?
thanks
also i noticed oil on the sides of the engine but it looks like its soming from a head gasket its not the cam cover gasket cas thats spotless but go lower and its coverd in oil
The coolant system is a right bugger to bleed, it could be airlocked, but it could well have blown the gasket if it's been overheating.

Usual checks.

1. Any oil in the coolant, little blobs or a oily sheen on the surface ?

2. Any water in the coolant, mayo or white gunk under the oil filler cap. Any increase in the oil level on the dipstick. ?

3. Any steam or white smoke from the exhausts ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope thats fine

2. Any water in the coolant, mayo or white gunk under the oil filler cap. Any increase in the oil level on the dipstick. ?
nope fine again

no steam or smoke whatsoever

ive bled the system correctly with no air locks that i know of
ive done it a few times over the years

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
mgfmaddness said:
nope thats fine

nope fine again

no steam or smoke whatsoever

ive bled the system correctly with no air locks that i know of
ive done it a few times over the years
Not sure if you've bled a K-Series before, right tricky buggers, but if you have and your happy, then I'd move onto the water pump, looks as if the coolant isn't circulating properly. Was the coolant the correct mix of antifreeze and water (50/50) and have you flushed the coolant system ?

After that, it's either going to be the headgasket or the inlet manifold gaskets which have given up.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,291 Posts
Is it loosing any coolant?

The only way of knowing for sure that all the air is out on a TF is to have the coolant system vacuum filled, as there is so much pipe work.

It could also be the thermostat but also don’t discount the coolant bottle filler cap.

Are you sure its actually over heating and its not a faulty temperature gauge/sensor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not thermostat cas i replaced that, tryed another temp gauge and its the same, guess i will try the water pump next then.
not to sure about the oil all over my engine isnt the cam cover gasket its clean there isnt the sump cas its alot higher then that.
any ideas?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
mgfmaddness said:
not thermostat cas i replaced that, tryed another temp gauge and its the same, guess i will try the water pump next then.
not to sure about the oil all over my engine isnt the cam cover gasket its clean there isnt the sump cas its alot higher then that.
any ideas?
I'd still be keen to get that coolant system vacuum filled first before you start worrying about stripping down the engine. Water pump change also kind of requires a timing belt change too (not neccessary but very advisable).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts