MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weve been having all sorts of problems with our 216 Si Bubble since getting the car in January. It is difficult to start and always needs gas before it will fire into life.

Weve had a new starter motor, coolant temp sensor and all of the belts replaced. The alternator was tested and I believe its output was around 13.7 to 13.8v which might be a little low, I want to test it myself to be sure of those readings though.

Ive also discovered that the wires leading to the tailgate have lost the insulation and were probably shorting agaist each other, scorch marks on the copper seem to confirm this. One of the wires has broken completely in two parts and this is the reason for my post.....

Can anyone tell me what the BROWN/GREEN wire is for in the boot wiring ?
I can only see one end of the wire the other has disapeared. I fear it will be causing a short circuit somewhere as its the end that comes from the engine bay/fuse box side of the car.

Heres a pic of the damage, sorry its blurry..

Thanks in advance,
Rich T

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may well be, thats what im trying to find out. I will have to check it next time I can get to the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
get a multimeter and a wiring diagram and test it, ive never been in the boot wiring so not sure, it might open the gates of hell im not sure...

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Not sure of the wire? But what a pain in the arse...just found the same problem on my 02 25. Had to splice for now, will get a rear wiring loom and hope to refit it, also treat any rust spots around the hole that the wires come from, clean the rubber gromit that nips into the metal as if you have left any rust reidue it will eat it away.

Hope you get it sorted, common problem I'm afraid :-(

Si:)

I DRIVE A...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Had same problem on my 220 sd.

On mine all the wires were sliced! Only realised when I investigated the cause of the boot not locking! I just soldered the 2 halves together for each cable in turn! Annoying job, redo it every 6months or so just to keep everything on back working! :)

Let me know if you need the wiring diagram. Can easily email ya it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
OK I've got the wiring diagrams for...

Wash/Wipe and heated rear window
Electric windows, central locking and electric mirrors
Indicators/hazards and stop & reverse lights

I think these cover everything in the tailgate loom.
Got an email address I can send them to mate?

J

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I had a go at fixing this the other day, wrapping electrical tape around the exposed wires but I still cant find the other end of that wire lol

But everything still works on the tailgate...
Central locking
Number plate lights
rear wiper motor and water jets

Ive taped over the bare end of this loose wire for now.

just looked on RAVE, appears to be rear wiper motor.
My Haynes manual confirmed this as being the wiper motor but it definately still works without this wire connected so go figure ????

Im also surprised that the car is now starting more easily (touch wood) after sorting out these wires :) I guess they must have been causing untold problems with the electrics

·
Registered
153 Posts
just checked mine and the black, black/green and orange/something else lol all have exposed wires no breaks luckly, maybe this is cause my battery to die? gonna cover the exposed wire with heat shrink and wrap th whole thing in spiral loom, that should prevent it from happening again, might use it on the washer pipe too. i'll take a pic and keep you updated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and ive got a Rover 220 SDI 98 model. I've recently fitted a Towtrust tow bar and am having difficulty wiring the single electrics up due to not having a wiring diagram. If anyone could email me a copy it would be great. [email protected]

Or if anyone knows which wires are which,then that would be great too.

Thanks in advance

Jon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts