MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I'm in big trouble :((. I own a Rover 25 2.0 TD and I have the alarm system from the factory. It's the alarm system that uses the horn when a door is opened. Ok, now: this alarm system has also a module which stops the engine from starting when the alarm is activated. Lately, my remote control does not function sometime, I even spent 30 mins near the car pressing the Open button and eventually it opened the car. I have changed the battery from the remote, and it's the same.
So, I've decided to change the alarm system. I have installed a new alarm, but they didn't remove the old one because they said the centralized locking works through it so they cannot remove it.
Now here's my problem: I lock the car using the new alarm, but when I unlock it, sometimes the module from the old alarm which does not let the engine start, it prevents it from starting. So I have to lock again the car and unlock it from the old module, and only after this the engine starts.
What should I do? Can the old module be deactivated? How?
I've called Rover in Romania and they told me the standard alarm system cannot be deactivated....How the heck, it's just an electronic system, right? Can it be deactivated or not? Don't know what to do. Please guys, HEEEELP :)!

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
The immobilser CAN be deactivated in 2 ways. It can be done permanently by someone with the right kit or you can do it yourself with the EKA(Emergency access code)
The EKA will disable the immobilser until the fob is used again. As long as you only use the key the immobiliser won't re-activate.

You seem to be going to a lot of trouble just for the sake of a dodgy fob. A good clean and new case/buttons may have sorted it. If not a replacement fob could have been coded in for around £25. I certainly wouldn't want to disable the immobilser on my car.

Did you only have the one fob?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...you can do it yourself with the EKA(Emergency access code)
The EKA will disable the immobilser until the fob is used again.
Hi ashy, thanks for your reply. I don't know what the fob is and what this EKA is? How can I find out this Emergency access code?
Also, you say that the immobiliser can be deactivated permanently by someone with the right kit. How can that person do it? Because the guys from Rover Romania told me it cannot be deactivated. Can I find somewhere the instructions on how to deactivate it permanently?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I think I got it....the fob is the remote control, right? I have changed the battery twice, I have cleaned the contacts, and nothing. I don't think the problem comes from the fob. I think it's comming from the alarm central unit.
Anyways, I don't mind deactivating the immobilizer permanently. How can it be done?

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
The immobiliser cannot be deactivated with the right kit, neither T4 or Avon. The passive immobiliser can be disabled that's about all.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
technozen said:
The immobiliser cannot be deactivated with the right kit, neither T4 or Avon. The passive immobiliser can be disabled that's about all.
Oops, yes that was what I was thinking of.

I still think that you have a dodgy fob. The alarm ECU seldom goes faulty on a Rover and is usually due to the crystal in the fob or worn buttons/contacts.

Have you attempted to clean the buttons/contacts and performed the resynch procedure?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts