MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I need some help,
I know basically nothing about all of the as I'm new to this so....

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers in my car ('98 Rover 214). I've picked out these speakers:
Alpine SPS-171A - For the front http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/alpine-sps171a-component-2way-speaker-p-220.html
Alpine SPS-13C2 - For the back http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/alpine-sps13c2-13cm-coaxial-speaker-p-457.html (This price for two?)

The head Unit I went out and got was the Sony CDX-GT410U, Yes Sony but I did get it at a good price.... The max output power is 50W x 4.

Now the speakers in the front at the moment are 5 1/4 inch in size (I think), I read somewhere on here that 6 inch speakers will fit in the front. Is this true? Will I need to be cutting up bits of mdf to fit to the speaker? Also how hard will it be to connect up the tweeters to the speakers?

Ok now I was looking to add an amp as well to connect to the front speakers, what kind of amp will be best for the SPS-171A speakers? Looking for maybe more than a 2 ch amp and looking to spend no more than £150.

So this is how I'll be connecting it all up:
Head Unit to amp
Amp to front speakers
Head Unit to back speakers

I haven't mentioned a sub in my setup at the moment as I'm not looking to add a sub just yet, maybe in a few months time.

So basically now I'm just after some help in setting all this up, how to do it, what other tools and cable I need, etc.
Will I have to change the cabling in the car for all this to connect up?

As I said before I'm new to all of this so be nice!

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Don't really have time to offer massive advice here...

but if I remember right the SPS-171A are 6.5" speakers. That's a full inch over what you seem to think the fronts would be.
On the wedge 214 6.5" speakers go in a doddle (by using the existing mounts)
Dunno about the bubble.

I had them in my old 214

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
As I said before I'm new to all of this so be nice!

Thanks for any help in advance.
From your post, it's obvious that you've been reading around and are going about things the right way, so that's one brownie point for you :)

So many questions, it's hard to know where to start.

Firstly, for your budget and baring in mind your speakers, I would be looking to pick up a 2nd hand 4 channel amp (which you can later bridge in to 3 channels - 2 for the front and one for the sub, but for now you could bridge in to 2 channels, to give your fronts even more welly when required, to help with midbass), or a new 2 channel amp if you prefer new stuff. For 2nd hand stuff, check ebay and also the classifieds section on www.talkaudio.co.uk

I'm not 100% sure regarding your car, but it's true that 6.5's will usually fit in to cars with 5 1/4" appertures with the aid of a baffle. Yes, you'll need to make some MDF baffles, and ensure that the speakers are well sealed to the baffles, and the baffles are well sealed (all of the way around) to the door. If you don't fancy making the baffles yourself, people like www.autoacoustics.co.uk supply pre-made ones.

Connecting the tweeters to the main woofers is a doddle - it's done using the supplied passive crossovers (the boxes on the right in the pic: http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/images/sps-171a.jpg). The output from the headunit or amp goes to the input on the crossover, then the outputs on the crossover go to the tweeters and mid-woofers, all using speaker cable. There's nothing to it. Most speakers will come with a selection of terminals and even some cable for you to connect between the crossovers and the speakers. So if you're lucky, you won't need to buy any speaker cable or connectors.. but it's hard to tell until you can inspect what arrives with it.

Install the passive crossovers inside your doors, in plastic bags, with an elastic band around where the wires enter the bag, to prevent water from getting in. That's assuming your mids and tweets are both going in/on the door anyway... If you want the tweeters on the dash/in the a-pillar, there may be more appropriate places to install the crossovers, such as under the dash. The hardest bit will be getting the speaker wire through in to the door.

It's usually best to upgrade the speaker wire throughout the car (don't be tempted to piggy back on to existing speaker wires - they're too thin). It isn't a necessity, but for a decent amount of power and the best possible sound, an all-round cable size upgrade is advisable (you'll probably find the stuff that comes with the comps is also bell wire - too thin).

You're right to amp the fronts but not the rears :)

Don't forget to buy an amplifier wiring kit of a suitable guage, baring in mind that you'll be adding another, potentially more powerful amp for the sub later. I'd recommend at least 4awg, if not 2 or 1/0.

That's all I have time for now .. any questions, fire away :)

HTH

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I've been searching this forum for a couple of weeks now, great site been looking at the shop part as well, bit off topic but do they do a 214Si badge for the rear? I see on the shop theirs a 214SLi so just wondering if they do one.

So we don't know if those 6.5 inch speakers will fit or not? Is it going to be the case of bitting the bullet and getting them and seeing for myself if they fit? Also will the original mounts actually be reusable and will the original speakers have to be forced out?

With the amp, what kind of wattage power am I looking for with those front speakers? Well if I'm still going with them....

The tweeters will be going in the little tweeter space on the door so the crossovers will go in the door.
How will I go about in upgrading the car speaker wire? Is it easy? How much roughly would it cost?

Don't forget to buy an amplifier wiring kit of a suitable guage, baring in mind that you'll be adding another, potentially more powerful amp for the sub later. I'd recommend at least 4awg, if not 2 or 1/0.
When you say adding another amp, do you mean to replace the existing one or actually have two amps?

I'm not really on a budget as such, but really im limiting myself for round £150 for the amp and maybe £120 for the component speakers and under £50 for the coaxial speakers. No limit on a sub as like I said before probably get one in a few months time or so.

I was looking at this amp http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/kenwood-kac8403-4channel-amplifier-p-944.html but im not sure on it, I did see this JBL one aswell http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gto754-p-4140.html. I will be checking out the classified section on talkaudio

Ok thats all I can think of at the moment

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny you should be looking at those speakers; I’m just fitting the same ones purchased from the same place in my 98 214!!! I can confirm that the front speakers will fit fine. I chose to fabricate some rings out of MDF because the supplied spacers will not match the holes of the original speakers. I have not finished the install yet as I got rained off at the weekend. Rear speakers are in and sound pretty good. I’ll try to fit the crossovers and wire it all up tonight. I’ve got pictures of the work done to date and can post them if you wish?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool SideshowDave thanks for the comfirmation on those speakers fitting, are the rear ones the Alpine SPS-13C2? Yeah post up some pics that would be nice, sure they will help me out.

Looks like I've got the speakers sorted out just need to sort out what amp to get. Looking towards the JBL 75.4 amp at the moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I have the SPS-13C2 in the back. They fit straight into the existing fittings with no additions or modification. I’ve been fitting the crossovers tonight but I got interrupted and have only got one door done before the light beat me. Should be easier to fit the other door tomorrow now I’ve done all the learning. Will download the photo’s to my laptop tomorrow and see if I can get them on the net somewhere for you. After all the effort fitting the speakers I think I deserve a new head unit too, maybe the CDE-9881RB or the CDE-9883R if i can get it past the GF. :cool:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
How will I go about in upgrading the car speaker wire? Is it easy? How much roughly would it cost?
I've done this in mine. You can get decent speaker wire for a low price now. I got some gale speaker wire rrp £2 a metre for £6 for 22 metres on ebay!! It can be tricky as you have to drill through the door connectors, I didn't realise this at the time and should have probably got some thinner cable lol. It's also fiddly to get the wire through (esp on the driver's side).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done this in mine. You can get decent speaker wire for a low price now. I got some gale speaker wire rrp £2 a metre for £6 for 22 metres on ebay!! It can be tricky as you have to drill through the door connectors, I didn't realise this at the time and should have probably got some thinner cable lol. It's also fiddly to get the wire through (esp on the driver's side).
I've never done things like this before so whats the process of doing this (dumb question?)? I actually haven't looked at the speaker cable in the car so I don't know what the cable is like. Is the speaker wireI would change to be the same as you would use in a home stereo system?

So I'm going for the two Alpine speakers I mentioned in first post and the JBL 75.4 Amp now, and would you believe it dynamicsounds have put the price of the SPS-13C2 back to their original price of £39.99. Oh well its not excatly expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok got the JBL amp and those Alpine speakers delivered today. What amp wiring kit should I get? anyone recommend one for me?

Also what other tools and items will I need?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts