MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dreaded Cambelt change time has finally approached.

Can anyone recommend a good garage or dealership in the South London area that won't charge too much for the cambelt change? ( I understand it's 3 belts)

Have been quoted a whopping £480 from a dealership that services Rovers.

The car is a Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto on a Y plate.

Somewhere on this site I have seen a very competitive £285 but I am sure its not in London.

Here's hoping that a few replies come forward.

Thanks in advance.

Martin.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
TBH Thats not a bad price for South London if they do the job properley.

The £285 I think was Manchester - Evans Halshaw I believe.

You might also ask Lates (a Member on this Forum ) as he works miracles on R75 cambelts. He could well be cheaper than you local price and you could be confident that the job was done correctly. To date he has an excellant reputation.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
£480 is cheap for London I have seen people quote prices of £1100.
Lates in Rugby is your best bet assuming you don't mind spending some of the difference on the petrol instead!

A lot of people with older cars are asking the same questions as the belt changes gets nearer and they suddenly realise the bargain 85,000 miler from ebay was not such a bargain after all.

It has been suggested in pms by a couple of people to me that once the value of the older cars gets to say less than £2k it might simply not be worth doing the belts at all and just run them into the ground then scrap the car or whatever. :eek:mg2:

I hope that won't be the case but I bet it will for some especially if the inlet manifold is croaking at the same time.

·
Registered
rover_75
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TBH Thats not a bad price for South London if they do the job properley.

The £285 I think was Manchester - Evans Halshaw I believe.

You might also ask Lates (a Member on this Forum ) as he works miracles on R75 cambelts. He could well be cheaper than you local price and you could be confident that the job was done correctly. To date he has an excellant reputation.

Hope this helps
Thanks David.

·
Registered
rover_75
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
£480 is cheap for London I have seen people quote prices of £1100.
Lates in Rugby is your best bet assuming you don't mind spending some of the difference on the petrol instead!

A lot of people with older cars are asking the same questions as the belt changes gets nearer and they suddenly realise the bargain 85,000 miler from ebay was not such a bargain after all.

It has been suggested in pms by a couple of people to me that once the value of the older cars gets to say less than £2k it might simply not be worth doing the belts at all and just run them into the ground then scrap the car or whatever. :eek:mg2:

I hope that won't be the case but I bet it will for some especially if the inlet manifold is croaking at the same time.
Thanks Keith.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Martin I have just bought a 75, 2.5, 2001 Club. (41k )I have been quoted here in Edinburgh 5 hours labour @ 35.00 = 175.00 plus the parts. He will only use OE Rover parts as had problems with after market ones not being a good fit. I am going to get this but but I really have to get my coolant leak sorted first. I now have been told its in the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
rover_75
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Martin I have just bought a 75, 2.5, 2001 Club. (41k )I have been quoted here in Edinburgh 5 hours labour @ 35.00 = 175.00 plus the parts. He will only use OE Rover parts as had problems with after market ones not being a good fit. I am going to get this but but I really have to get my coolant leak sorted first. I now have been told its in the thermostat housing.
That appears to be a very good price. A long way for me to go if I wanted such a price. Shame!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The £285 price was from Evans Halshaw Main Rover/MG agents in Leeds, original equipment only, and inc VAT .Courtesy car provided as well...

·
Registered
rover_75
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The £285 price was from Evans Halshaw Main Rover/MG agents in Leeds, original equipment only, and inc VAT .Courtesy car provided as well...
Thanks Stree,

what a shame for me that Evans Halshaw is in Leeds. Sadly too far for me to go up there.

Martin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts