MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got waste vegetable oil from a local friend who runs a kebab shop, but the stuff is almost jelly like with all the chip residue, any suggestions on how to get rid of all this stuff so i can pump it through my system to get rid of the smaller grime, at the moment its far too thick to pump and will glog up my non-washable 1 micron filter instantly....

any help appreciated :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The problem you have is that your oil is not really suitabe for use in a diesel engine as coming from a Kebab shop it has more than likely had all and sundry fried in it. I have run "engines" on oil before and you have to be very picky about your oil. You see, oil that has had meat fried in it, ie sausages, burgers etc contains large amounts of animal fat (lard) and this is what you see as white streaks or lumps in the oil as animal fat solidifies at lower temps than veg oil and will clog your system very quickly, and is very difficult to remove. The only real way to get round this is to pre-heat the oil to 90'c before the filter and pump (type WVO heaters into e-bay to see them for sale).
The other problem with oil used to cook processed meats (sausages etc) is that they contain large amounts of salt which leeches into the oil from the food and as we all know, salt is VERY corrosive and will corrode any metal parts the oil contacts.
The best oil ifyou can get it is that used only to cook vegetables (chips etc) as will contain no salt or animal fats.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hope this helps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The other problem is FFA`S free fatty acids these will attack your pump ect,
if you can hot filter it,poss first stage jay cloth type materal then let it settle you may have usable oil on top, failing that you need to wash it to remove ffa`s and you will need a second tank with lots of heat and heated fuel lines(hose in or on hose).
search for goatindustries and join the forum.
good luck Ray

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
Actually, just a quick question, and this isn't meant to sound as bad as it does.

Isn't this illegal? If it isn't, why aren't we all doing it???? I see petrol is getting dangerously close to the £1 mark again, and diesel is almost there. If I can find away to avoid paying Heir Brown duty and be legal at the same time... I'm there!!! Even if I have to buy a diesel to run around in.

I had looked at it before and heard that people had been prosecuted for it?

Sean

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Actually, just a quick question, and this isn't meant to sound as bad as it does.

Isn't this illegal? If it isn't, why aren't we all doing it???? I see petrol is getting dangerously close to the £1 mark again, and diesel is almost there. If I can find away to avoid paying Heir Brown duty and be legal at the same time... I'm there!!! Even if I have to buy a diesel to run around in.

I had looked at it before and heard that people had been prosecuted for it?

Sean
You will need to declare your 27p per litre to the taxman.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a bloomin expert

Yes you can use it. I use it for my nissan d21 Navara it runs like its on double cream. Mpg better and sounds lie a petrol. To filter it, get a large drum container and fill it with your old oil, put the old oil through an old sand sack (the ones you get sand deliverd in bulk in or postal sacks) this gets rid of maggots, bits of animal and anything dead in the oil. Pour this rough filtered oil into the big drum. Now get a drum that just fits inside the big drum. Cut the top off this (put pipe insulation around it to make it safe, v sharp). Now puncture lots of 5mm diameter holes in the bottom of the smaller drum and cover from the outside with a jay cloth. put this onto the oil in the big drum. push the smaller drum down into the oil in the big drum, making sur it dosen't overflow into the small drum. I put 2 bits of wood across the big drum and weigh them down with bricks to hold the small drum down.
Now wait 2 days. Go back and you jay cloth will have filtered out all the whiteskins (crap oil that damages) and just leave honey like clean redskins (good). You still need to heat this to remove water and add some diesel (10% should suffice for summer) And hey presto. Let the taxman know, pay your 27pence by the 15th of the next month and hey presto run your diesel for about 30p per litre.
DISCLAIMER: If you choose to do this on your head be it. there have been no long term tests on common rails as theyv'e not been around long enough.

Why isn't everyone doing it??

1. IT'S DISGUSTING!! (don't underestimate this warning, I'm serious!!)oil everywhere, no matter how hard you try. It stinks and you wont get rid of the smell for days. If it spills in your car, which at some point it will, you will NEVER get rid of it.

2. Supply. It's already hard to get a regular supply (unless your friend owns a kebbabie!!)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
does anyone know if a rover 420 sldi will run on veggie oil

does anyone know if a rover 420 sldi will run on veggie oil and can you just pour it in or do you have to convert anything

·
Registered
mg_zs
62 Posts
Which is why the government do not advertise the fact that cars can run on the stuff!!!

Poor old Gordon Brown cant tax you to the hilt on it, like he does with diesel!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts