MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Sorry if this question was answered somewhere already, I've done the search and it didn't find anything...

I am about to buy MG ZR 105 this month and I have a big problem with choosing the right wheels - tires for it. The car comes with stock MG alu wheels 16" Hairpins. I intend to use those as my winter wheels and I already found where to buy 17" Straights for summer driving. Since I will buy the car in Germany I wanted to buy summer tires for those new wheels at the same time.

Can you give me some advice what tire size should I buy for 17" wheels?

MG Rover manual states that both 16" and 17" wheels should be fitted with 205 tires. Can I fit 215 or 225 tires without any modifications and what are the impacts on driving comfort and performance?

I was thinking about Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, both for their performance and good looks. Do you have some better recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
mg_zs
718 Posts
hi there bud,

i have done this mod just recently i changed my tire size to 205/45/17 with minimal loss on performance and best of all it does not mess with your speedo reading

hopes this helps.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Stick with the factory 205/45/17. I had 205/40/17 on my straights at first & they made for a really hard ride.Went to the factory recomended size & the ride is much better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the infos... I think I'll stick to factory recommended size...

And what about the tire manufacturer? I want a good performance tire (only for summer) that also looks good, and I prefer directional thread design...

Should I go with Goodyear Eagles or is there something better out there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, damn, I just came back from eBay... they only do 215 and above for 45/R17...

What should I do... Does anyone have a suggestion...?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK, so in 205/45/17 I have following tires as option:

1. Toyo Proxes T1-R

2. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx

3. Pirelli Zero Nero

Comments anybody? I personaly am going a little bit toward Dunlop due to its origin...

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
dsasic said:
OK, so in 205/45/17 I have following tires as option:

1. Toyo Proxes T1-R

2. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx

3. Pirelli Zero Nero

Comments anybody? I personaly am going a little bit toward Dunlop due to its origin...
I've just fitted a pair of the Proxes to the rear of my ZR after looking at all the options, bought online for £65 each delivered from Camskill - 205/50/16". Not really given it too much stick yet as I want to bed them in for a few miles first.

I had a full set on my old Cavalier and the grip was phenomenal considering the suspension is pap on them.

After reading lots of reviews, the proxes score highly on every measure, such as wet/dry conditions, tyre life, noise etc. with no major weak areas and they are a good price too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys

I have a MGZR, can i fit 15s on it for track use, i have spotted some team dynamics pro race 1s in 15 inch on ebay and want to know if they will fit.

Many thanks

Tim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts