MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

For some reason the last few days I can not close the hood at the end of the day. I have had my car for about 6 months now and all through the winter on dry days have had no problem, but since this nice weather has arrived it has been a night mare. It is just as if the roof has shrunk as it does not seem to reach to re clip it. Last night it took two of us and about 30 minutes to close it. I am getting a bit nervous about going roofless in case I can't secure the car again when on my own. any ideas please before I miss all this glorious weather.

Thanks

Christine

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
when mines been down for a while, it does take a bit more force to reclip it. I pull it down as far as I can using the front bar that the clips are attached to, sometimes it kinda snaps down. You might want to pull the other bars up as well. Also try oiling the joints with a little bit of 3in1 oil, old some toweling under to catch any drips and wipe off the excess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers
I will try oiling the joints tomorrow and keep my fingers cross.

I have been unlicky since I bought this car, seems to have had a lot of problems, after a winter of various leaks, a snapped speedo cable that resulted in having to have the power steering re set and the immoboliser giving up the ghost, now this. My husband is getting fed up with repair bills and threatening to sell it and make me have a corsa, (he classes that as a sensible car) if there are any more problems. He doesn't moan when he has to buy things for his evo though.

Thanks
Christine

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
I don't know if you've done it, but additionally you can lower the windows a bit to make it easier to close the hood. Try adjusting the latches as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Swordfish

I did think about it but he's not that bad really. The trouble is I sold a perfectly good car that had not needed a penny spent on it for the three years I had it because the kids had finally left home (Hurray it does happen eventually) and this car was my first mad buy to celebrate, you know two seats cos you don't taxi the kids about, and so far I have spent half as much on repairs as I did to buy it. So he is justified in being peeved I suppose. ( she admits grudgingly)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts