MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm at birm university so i'm a fair distance from home! i was driving last nyt and i think my head gasket may have gone again....

I don't know of any little garages nearby and i can't get a tow anywhere or drive to find any (lol).

So I'm wondering if anybody who might be near selly oak (brum) would be able to help me hugely and come and do a compression test on my car so i know if its the gasket or not?

Any offers would be HUGELY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
having had the HG repaired only 2000 miles ago.....

I drove about a mile down the road... was a little chilly co i put my heaters on. stopped at some traffic lights and noticed the vents started slowly blowing cooler and cooler air. Temp guage went up just above half and wasnt stopping so off went the engine. Nothing was particularly hot as i'd literally just set off. i opened the bonnet to see the coolant at the top of the tank. opened the tank and out pour the coolant. i squeezed the hoses and it gurggled down after around half an hour...

I drove back (no other option as i was in a wierd part of birmingham, lol) with nice hot air out of the vents and a normal temp guage. However, i opened the bonnet when i got back and the coolant level was still too high compared to normal (accounting for the expansion due to heating).

So it could be the thermostat, but i'm more concerned that its sudden HGF.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
it sounds like an air lock or possibly the expansion cap its self best bet is like you are trying to do get it in to a garage for them to have a look if it is the head gasket again id go back to the garage that did the work and insist they repair for nothing

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i agree, its not on if its the head again. i still want it compression tested tho' as if it's not the head i can bleed it myslef here at uni and be mobile once again.

thanks for the replies,
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts