MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Iv got a '98 218 IS sitting in the drive after the cam belt went 2 days before it was due to be replaced!

Just wanted some suggestions on what to do with it. I was only going 30 and at 2 an a half - 3 revs when it went so not sure how much damage there is to the engine. Haven't got the time to have a look myself, is it worth paying someone to have a look, if so what should i be lookin at paying?

I'm not that keen on scrappin it, it's got brand new tyres worth more than id get for it plus new rad and hoses, rear brake pads etc, only the buggerin cam belt is the problem. Just wondered what my best option was, only paid 550 for it but even if the engine isnt that bad, gettin a new belt, water pump etc im still probably not gonna make back what i paid if i sold it after?

Need the drive space really! Cheers guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
Snap

Same thing happened to me. Cost me £650 to get it back on the road. I was travelling slower than yourself, and it sounded like I had run over someone's toolbox. Needed 8 new valves, the head was corroding, so it was welded and re-skimmed.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Take the head off and have a look at the pistons. You may just get away with plopping another head on there. £100 if that from Ebay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, mine didn't sound too clever either :-S

how difficult would it be to take the head off? Iv done it with a fiesta but this is a twin cam 16v, do i need any special kit?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Yea, mine didn't sound too clever either :-S

how difficult would it be to take the head off? Iv done it with a fiesta but this is a twin cam 16v, do i need any special kit?
Just need to follow the timing setup procedure beforehand. Get a Haynes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts