MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I have just purchased a TF-160 in Anthracite Black and I was wondering what the best car wash / sponges / wax etc to use was.

My flatmate tried to be nice and wash my car while I was away, but now it has tiny little scratches from whatever cloth he used, and I would obviously like to remove them.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
150 Posts
black car.

Hi Brad,you need a re-think on your methods of washing a car.Ditch the sponge as it is just a dirt magnet.Buy yourself a decent car wash brush instead.Any good known brand of car shampoo will be sufficient to wash your pride and joy.As for the final polish,it`s all down to your preferred brand.As you live in a better country than me :irked: i would suggest mer if its available in oz, otherwise whatever you can get that`s half decent.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
i wouldnt use mer, not impressed at all. Meguiars is available worldwide i beleive and is an excellent product which gives an amazing finish.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas. As for the actual cloth i use to polish, what should I use. i want to get these scratches out, not put more in :)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
MattL said:
i wouldnt use mer, not impressed at all. Meguiars is available worldwide i beleive and is an excellent product which gives an amazing finish.
mer is the polish of choice for me !!

·
Registered
236 Posts
meguiars also do some application pads and polishing cloths so you could do what i have and get a complete wash set. Not used it yet but by all the ravings on here about them I decided to give it the first try.

go to bansheemotorsport you'll see all the possible things you can use there.

Would perhaps suggest meguiars scratch x to start off on the areas where the scratches are, then move onto their 3 step approach will do wonders.

Just do a search for for "meguiars" and you'll find a couple of pages discussing exactly this.

HTH

·
Registered
71 Posts
Zymol cleaner polish.

applicator; old towelling bibs

polishing cloth; very very old cotton t-shirt washed so many times its falling apart.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
A sponge is fine to wash the car with, I can't see how a brush would be any kinder on the paintwork. The most important thing when washing is to use copious amounts of water.

Zymol is fantastic stuff, cleaner wax as mentioned is very good. I like autoglym polish and meguirs I've heard lots of good things about.
Once it's all polished up the scratches should be history.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers

thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm going to give meguiars a go, as i've found a store that has it not far from me. i'll let you all know if the scratches disappear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts