MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

Well today Ive noticed that my left side sounded pretty dead. Set the balancing on it to full left and only the back left speaker worked(and I don't blast the stereo, not untill its vibrating etc)

Im gonna take the head unit out and reconnect tonight, hopefully might be loose or something. Just wondering if a dealer would replace it on warrenty?

Ive been told that it will not be covered becuase of my head unit, but if i take it out and put the old one back in, its standard so should be?

Are the speakers in the mg-zr not that great becuase i had this unit in me corsa turned up alot louder and it was fine :(

Many thanks

·
Registered
rover_25
1,021 Posts
If you want to blast the sound - i'd reccommend getting a better set of speakers than standard - most standard speakers won't get very loud without serious distortion. Amped up front comps will do ur sound wonders!! Don't forget a bit of dynamat,brownbread etc :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If you want it loud, definitely don't buy aftermarket speakers willy nilly. Most of them require more power to create the same level of sound. If you want "better" sound, then by all means upgrade them, but you'll probably need an amp if you want them to keep up with the OEM units. An amp is always a good plan anyway - headunit amps are almost always the limiting factor in an otherwise stock system. The internal amps are usually only good for around 15WRMS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will have to get new speakers! Can anyone recommended any decent speakers that will fit in the door wholes. I don't facy taking off the whole door card for a speaker. Any recommend any?

Back to the left speaker though, would a sony xplod headunit really do damage to a standard speaker so quick? Ive only had it under a week and its blown :(

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
SmallRoverKid said:
Back to the left speaker though, would a sony xplod headunit really do damage to a standard speaker so quick? Ive only had it under a week and its blown :(
Dunno have ya been crankin it up to volumes that was far too loud coz that won't help, have you checked all ya cabling?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah, seriously I haven't had it up that loud. I have it up quite loud so its well audiable in the cabin but not so people outside get disturbed by it.

The bass isn't high, they all round the middle, not in the plus or minus!

Quick question on the cabling then, is there any easy way to take the speaker cover off becuase I can't take the door card off. I would have to wait if the door card needs coming off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AH! Fixed it, that connection between the door and the main body of the car wasn't in properly. Hopefully will stay in or its a tape job :twak2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I might get looking around when I get some cash back :)

I heard alpine are pretty good. What are they called..component speakers? The ones that just plug and screw in the door?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts