MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny thing is, it’s only the TF – my old tractor (Rover 75), parked next to it doesn't suffer from the problem.

Anyway, as per the title, the wee TF is growing green algae everywhere. Obviously I wash it off again, but it persists in various cracks and crevices, eg:
  • Around the headlight clusters
  • Around the indicator side repeaters
  • On the mirror stalks etc
  • And worst, on the window seals
So what I’m wondering is, the best way to remove it… for the gaps round the light clusters etc, dare I apply a pressure washer, or am I risking any kind of damage?

And I understand that removing the window seals damages them, and they have it be replaced… is there any easy way of cleaning them in situ?

Thanks everybody 😁

PS same on the hood… I bought one of those soft top clean and protect kits, but it didn’t help much to be honest :confused:

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
367 Posts
You could try 4 parts water to 1 white vinegar and spray it on but test it on some out of the way paintwork first just in case. Why?, firstly it's cheap to try and secondly I believe it not only removes the algae but kills the spores which might help stop it reoccurring.
Whilst I'm at it wear old clothes, I just lost a nice T shirt doing mould removal in the bathroom! not vinegar a commercial product I couldn't wait for the wine to turn.

·
Registered
mg_tf
167 Posts
You could try 4 parts water to 1 white vinegar and spray it on but test it on some out of the way paintwork first just in case. Why?, firstly it's cheap to try and secondly I believe it not only removes the algae but kills the spores which might help stop it reoccurring.
Whilst I'm at it wear old clothes, I just lost a nice T shirt doing mould removal in the bathroom! not vinegar a commercial product I couldn't wait for the wine to turn.
I was going to suggest vinegar, but I didn't want to get a reputation for being tight. 😄

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Dropping the windows would definitely be the best plan, but... mine have jammed down a couple of times, and I've had to take her to a garage to get them freed again, so reluctant to do that :oops:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't they fix the problem of the jamming windows.
Aw, it was years ago when I first got the car - he did it for free, but was up to his neck and I didn't ask him what he'd done.

Later when it was in for a service with our local MGR guru, he adjusted it to stop it jumping out of the runners when dropped down, but as he's on a 3-4-week waiting list for work, I've never had the courage to try putting it right down again in case it still isn't right...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts