MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i've just bought an mgf and i dont know whats wrong with it, I start off in 1st gear obviously lol and I get my bite and it moves (okey dokey so far) but whenever i put my foot down on the accellerator the bite is lost and it is as though my clutch goes in because just the revs go up but the car wont move any faster this happens no matter what gear I'm in. when i bought it and drove it home it was like this and when i got on my drive the rear right wheel was smoking think it came from the caliper so maybe the brakes could be sticking a bit or my handbrake cable to the rear wont release even though the handbrake is down and off any help you can offer would be much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i found one on internet for like £75 dont fancy fitting it myself im not too experienced (only 19)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,184 Posts
Xpart book price for a fitted clutch is around the £600 mark. Are you sure you don't just need new calipers?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no didnt do it on ma r200 so looks like clutch needs replacing but i'll still jack it up n replace the disks n pads cos they were smoking so might not be the clutch yet

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
It really is a very easy test - as you have just shown.

Put it in gear and set off.
Apply full throttle - if engine speed rises dramatically faster than road speed rises then the clutch is slipping FULL STOP

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well iv jacked it up with all the brakes off and the rear wheel hardly moves have to apply brute force so gonna have change pads and disks cos the car has not moved for like 4 months so they might have rusted on n that

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
well iv jacked it up with all the brakes off and the rear wheel hardly moves have to apply brute force so gonna have change pads and disks cos the car has not moved for like 4 months so they might have rusted on n that
you need to change the caliper as well, otherwise you'll be back to square one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dont worry mate my fault bought it at an auction and its the only thing wrong with it so hopefully once disks and pads and calipers have been changed she'll be ready to go

·
Registered
283 Posts
You fitting yourself...if so check out petes link he sent. It also links my forum post - how-to, with pictures for pads and disks. Thats easy and can be purchased for £120....calipers make it a touch harder.

I`m fairly local to Wigin, I`m in Bury so if you get the parts and need a hand fitting give me a shout. I can certainly help fit pads and disks but we`d have to have a bash at the calipers together.... No point forking out for garage time with something you can do yourself in an a couple of hours.

Offers there anyway....

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts