MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please:O

I cant get my clocks out!! i have followed Andy's pics on my other thread but just cant seem to get to the back of the clocks:cus:

Please help me

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
N1CK said:
... on my other thread ...
Which other thread would that be N1ck?

Sorry can't help you, never done it myself. How is the "tidy up" going with the car? Is there much original left? Can't wait to see pics of the finished job.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
What's the problem Nick? Have you removed all the screws (4 on the cowl, 4 on the instruments?) and have you unplugged the three multiplugs (ringed on the previous thread) and the speedo cable? (reach behind the instruments and unplug them, access is tight, but it is possible - the rings on the picture are to let you know where to 'feel' for the connections).

If you have done all this and still can't remove it, it's probably an access thing. As a last resort remove the steering wheel cowl as well, pix here:

Open fuse box cover (i use a 20p piece), remove 3 retaining screws in the underside of the cowl, then unclip the top half from the bottom half and withdraw. Slide the lower half towards you, off of the ignition and drop away.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have removed the clocks now, but i need to take the perspex off the front! i have tried unclipping it from themiddle but putting the rings through from behind is a nightmare especially when using super glue.... i dont what white residue all over the inside of the clocks!!

Andy did you take the clear perspex off or go in from the middle? any tips?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
I was afraid of this. I had hoped that you could unclip the front (case) from the rear (instruments) and install them through the openings from behind, but it appears not.

I managed to separate my perspex from the cowl, but it wasn't entirely susccessful - the perspex is bonded on and gently working the perspex away from the cowl by hand i managed to break 90% of the bond, but then - disaster! A crack in the lower right hand corner. :(

Note the crack in the perspex. :(

So, i don't have any advice for you Nick, other than be very, very careful. Maybe someone will come along with a solution (thought about using hot water to melt the glue and also thought about maybe putting it in the oven for a bit, but both of these i discounted as i felt there was a real risk of damaging the cowl / perspex).

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how did you compleatly seperate the two from the center? the black from the white as that would make it way easier:D that way i wouldnt have to try and get in through the front

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right the very good news is i have fitted them and glued them from behind..... no mess:bgrin:

The bad new is the B**ard only send me the same alloy rings for the temp gauge and the fuel gauge so i now have 2 fuel gauge rings:***: AGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I will have to speak to the guy i bought them from:guns3:

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
N1CK said:
right the very good news is i have fitted them and glued them from behind..... no mess:bgrin:

The bad new is the B**ard only send me the same alloy rings for the temp gauge and the fuel gauge so i now have 2 fuel gauge rings:***: AGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I will have to speak to the guy i bought them from:guns3:

...to be fair you could see how that is easly done though... at least you've done the hard bit

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see it is an easy mistake to make but it doesnt make me any happier! I will have to wait for the replacement to be sent, then take the clocks out... again.

JUst would have been nice to do it and sit back and enjoy:bored:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just spoke to him and he's sending me out another one asap so fair play im alittle less annoyed! DOnt get me wrong im not angry with him i can see how its very easy to do but im just annoyed that i have to do it again:ziplip:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts