MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, joined this forum to see if anyone could helpme with a seemingly intermittant fault with my 1998 620 gsdi. It seems like sometimes there is vertually no power at all at low revs (to pull off) seems if i rev it and slip the clutch its fine, but sometimes i virtually stop when i try to move off, as if the engine being starved of fuel/air?? I know very little about diesels but i love my 620 and frankly havent got the cash spare at the mo to send it into the local garage. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
sorry to say mate but the diesel are like that, they have no power below 2k, but u could try changing the maf sensor on the air intake can help and u could also get a mafam off rover ron which helps alot. Hope u can get it sorted

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Is it a really bad starvation? I get a little bit of a slow moment with my 600, sort of write an invitation to the engine style sometimes!

·
Registered
34 Posts
martin5726 said:
hi everyone, joined this forum to see if anyone could helpme with a seemingly intermittant fault with my 1998 620 gsdi. It seems like sometimes there is vertually no power at all at low revs (to pull off) seems if i rev it and slip the clutch its fine, but sometimes i virtually stop when i try to move off, as if the engine being starved of fuel/air?? I know very little about diesels but i love my 620 and frankly havent got the cash spare at the mo to send it into the local garage. Any help would be great.
This sounds very similar to a problem I had a few months ago. The fault was indeed a mass air flow meter, I was fortunate in the fact that I was covered by the warantee, and A new one was fitted and cured my problem

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
cant see it being the maf, as on the 600 the maf just controls the EGR valve
copyed from rover_ron site

Q1: WHICH ROVERS ARE AFFECTED BY MAF FAULTS?

A: All ROVER 25, 45, 75, MG ZR, ZS ZT, & Freelander TD4 DIESELS.

But NOT the 200/400/600 Sdi/Gsdi or SD. On these the maf is ONLY used to control the exhaust gas recirculation system. It is not used to modify the fuelling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

i know the diesels are'nt any good below the 2000 rpm mark, but this is over and above this, its reallylike no power at all, it only happens now and then but its very annoying, and possibly a tad on the dangerous side when i need to pull out of a busy juncton. oh well looks like a visit to the old rover dealer beadles in gillingham :( ill let you know what it was and what it cost in case anyone was curious lol thanks anyway guys

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Someone post the link to Rover Rons site for Martin, i cant remember it off hand. Its the MAF mate, im 99.99999999999% confident.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
martin5726 said:
i know the diesels are'nt any good below the 2000 rpm mark, but this is over and above this, its reallylike no power at all, it only happens now and then but its very annoying, and possibly a tad on the dangerous side when i need to pull out of a busy juncton. oh well looks like a visit to the old rover dealer beadles in gillingham :( ill let you know what it was and what it cost in case anyone was curious lol thanks anyway guys
Happens every now and then? Hmm, sounds like a sensor to me. If not maf try the crank shaft sensor mate. If you can get a good enough one from a scrap car, it would be cheaper then visiting a stealer... may take a while to replace, but its worth a try?

·
Registered
rover_75
54 Posts
Before you start ripping sensors out check the brake pedal switch (the one that switches on the brake lights) as this is also linked to the ECU, when you apply the brakes the ecu only fuels the engine to idle.....so if its sticking it won't go well at all.

Another way to cause the above fault is to put a tail light bulb in the wrong way round and turn the side/headlights on.....the brake lights get energised as does the ecu idle mode. (local garage sprung this one on me....took me ages to work it out!)

Next check there is no air getting into the fuel system.......prime suspects are the fuel filter.....make sure the drain screw on the bottom is tight as well as the bleed screw on the top......even if they are, squeeze the bleed bulb....it should not give......if it does look/listen for diesel/air escaping.................this happened to me when my fuel filter decided to start leaking for no particular reason.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
stu, what about disconecting the EGR valve solenoid.... if the MAF is shagged then the EGR would remain closed and the car would run properly...

or.... possibly a split in the boost hoses than only apears under very heavy load.... and high boost as a result.... worth a doubue check.

have u cleaned the air filter etc?

any dodngy sounds or anything from under the bonnet? higher amount of whistleing when driving along? (turbo whine) blowing exhaust?

miht even be something as simple as an injector blockage...?!?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

hiya everyone.... well i gave the car a good service, tere was a split in one of the hoses i changed that as a matter of course, new oil new filters all round still the same problem??? i seems worse if im standing still for a while i.e at a busy junction... than theres virtually nothing when you put the pedal down untio it gets over 2000 rpm again... also... the car ordinarily makes no smoke at all, (under cold start/heavy acceleration) but when this fault happens it seems to coincide with a puff of dark smoke from the exhaust??? im totallystumped and fed up with it lol

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
It is NOT the MAF sensor. This doesn't control the fueling on the 600 only on later cars.

It could be a sticking EGR valve. Remove the vacuum pipe and plug the end to test. If it improves then the EGR valve is faulty (leave it disconnected).

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
just a thought, if the EGR is completely up shiesse creek, would disconnecting it possible still leave it 'flapping' or sticking open?

what are the real world benefits from blanking it off....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts