·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torn bewteen 2 cars..

Rover 420SDi, 95k, FSH, aircon etc etc

or

Rover 414iS, 70k, new head, aircon, FSH.

Any suggestions, both V-plates but ones £500 less than the other.

Mostmy driving is to work and back, mixture of town and dual carriageway.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Bodywork condition? What sort of other toys in them? Main dealer service history?

I'd probably be more interested in the diesel. I'd be wary of a car having needed a new head, guess it was HGF, as it could have been due to either just "one of those things" or sheer neglect and I'd never touch a neglected car with a bargepole...

A 414 may feel a bit underpowered at times.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I drive a 216, and to be honest, I think the 414 would feel a little underpowered at times. As far the daily commute goes, I'd lean twards the diesel, the petrols arent all that efficient.

Having said that, the petrols are peppy little things, and there great fun to drive! It depends what you want from your car

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daytona said:
Bodywork condition? What sort of other toys in them? Main dealer service history?

I'd probably be more interested in the diesel. I'd be wary of a car having needed a new head, guess it was HGF, as it could have been due to either just "one of those things" or sheer neglect and I'd never touch a neglected car with a bargepole...

A 414 may feel a bit underpowered at times.
Both appear fine, both have main dealer history, R/C/L, E/W, CD player, the 414 has had 4 owners, the diesel has had 2. My other half has a 414 and that can feel a bit gutless to be honest.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Dogudders said:
Both appear fine, both have main dealer history, R/C/L, E/W, CD player, the 414 has had 4 owners, the diesel has had 2. My other half has a 414 and that can feel a bit gutless to be honest.
I've a 416iXL and that feels "right". I've also got a 214Si and find the 1600 has nicer low range ability so a 414 would probably not be as nice a drive as the diesel (and this is from a petrol fan...).

I also think there are too many owners on the 414. Too much scope for neglect. One thing I hate is fixing someone else's stupidity or laziness at my expense.

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daytona said:
I've a 416iXL and that feels "right". I've also got a 214Si and find the 1600 has nicer low range ability so a 414 would probably not be as nice a drive as the diesel (and this is from a petrol fan...).

I also think there are too many owners on the 414. Too much scope for neglect. One thing I hate is fixing someone else's stupidity or laziness at my expense.
I am swaying more and more to the diesel, the fact its £500 cheaper is a factor. Appreciate the comments :beer2:

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
without a doubt the diesel, just for economy, but if its £500 more you'd have to do a lot of miles to get that back or keep it a while

depends how many miles you do

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
Dogudders said:
I am swaying more and more to the diesel, the fact its £500 cheaper is a factor. Appreciate the comments :beer2:
if the dieel is cheaper go for it, but diesels hold value well , i'd be wondering why its £500 less than the petrol, the mileage isn'ty astronimocal on itso i'd be a little wary, whats the price compared to simlar cars on AT?

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AndBurG said:
if the dieel is cheaper go for it, but diesels hold value well , i'd be wondering why its £500 less than the petrol, the mileage isn'ty astronimocal on itso i'd be a little wary, whats the price compared to simlar cars on AT?
The 414 is a private sale and the diesel is a main dealer p/x, i guess the chap is quite happy for a quick turnover and make a few quid in the process. He has said that if i don't want it the car will be getting full valet, machine polished and go in local paper for quite a bit more. Also, one's up north and the other is down south!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Dogudders said:
Torn bewteen 2 cars..

Rover 420SDi, 95k, FSH, aircon etc etc

or

Rover 414iS, 70k, new head, aircon, FSH.

Any suggestions, both V-plates but ones £500 less than the other.

Mostmy driving is to work and back, mixture of town and dual carriageway.

Cheers
The 414 isn't as gutless as people make out, unless your stuck with an oddball 85hp version instead of the full 103hp. There have been suggestions that some of the last Rover 400s received the lower powered engine.

I'd go for the Rover 420SDi though, the diesel engine in the 420 makes the car nuclear bomb proof, capable of stupidly high mileages and easy to fix if anything does go wrong. It will give really good economy, should be 40+ mpg easily, and it's pretty capable of leaving German and French cars standing at the lights too. With the 420, even if it has been neglected a little, the mechanicals will put up with all kinds of abuse.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi,

Go for the 420, mine was an excellent car and i miss it. You will get 45+ mpg out of it with no trouble, i saw high 50's out of mine most of the time. They have good pull too which can be fun. I also liked the sound it made, sounded quite beefy at times.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I wish my dad bought a 420 diesel instead of his 1998 416s. Dont get me wrong its quite nice only done 35k miles and got spoiler and alloys and fogs and stuff as its a special edition, but he drives it to work and back and also used as a family car so wants good MPG, he also doesn't like the fact you have to rev it hard to get the power out of it. Its also white in colour and a basic spec. Plus theres also the worry of the head gasket. Im trying to persaude him to get a 420 diesel.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Out of that choice you have given there, i would go for the 420SDi. Not because im biased!, but ive done at least 50,000 in my SDi since i bought it off my dad, and the engines still going strong (had to have the box reconned) but that wasnt a problem at the time and its still sweet as a nut! :D

My mate had a 420 diesel, and tbh, it will definatly pound the miles way more then the petrol.

Regards

Stu C

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
AndBurG said:

Could just be a quirk - my 30k Corolla was the same price as an 85k example for no discernable reason.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
david_r_bates said:
Could just be a quirk - my 30k Corolla was the same price as an 85k example for no discernable reason.
Depends who is selling it, where they have got a their used values from and how bothered they can be to wait for it to sell.
As long as it checks okay, then i think its called a bargain!

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i'm going for the diesel. Taking a trip with the cash and if its all good i'll be driving it home. Will keep you posted and show some pics if i get it!

Cheers guys!:cool:

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got the diesel today, very pleased with it. Apart from a slight blow in the exhaust the car is fantastic, with a full history. It has aircon, front fogs, 4 x electric windows.

Its a 99 T-plate, 90k, 2 owners, guess how much I paid for it?

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
I'd go with the Diesel too. I'd never touch a car that which had had a HGF repair. A new head is fine, if it was new - it could have been a reconditioned one which had already been skimmed. Its just not worth the potiental future hassle.

The L Series is a superb Diesel and when I was on the look out for a 220SDI a few years back, if I had found a 420GSDi within my price range, I'd have bought it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts