MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the boot of the car today to pop the bonnet so I could charge a flat battery and nothing happens :( there was no tension in the chord at all. Took the handle off to see if I could pull the cord with some pliers. It will pull for about an inch with no tension and then I get full tension but no boot popping. I could pull as hard as I like on the chord now with full tension but no joy.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
If there is no tension on the lever then there is a good chance the cable has broken or come off at the bonnet end.

I always recommend people cable tie the ends of these cables (i.e. bonnet release and the one that connects the boot lock to the boot lock mechanism) to there respective levers so this cant happen.

If the cable has snapped, then one option is to trace the route of the cable through the car to try and find the break point is. Once you have found where the break is, you can then saw through the outer sheaf and pull on the cable inside, which is still connected to the bonnet lever, and open the bonnet.

The other possibility is that the cable has become detached from the bonnet lever under the slam panel. In this case you need to manually move the release lever to open the bonnet. This is a lot harder to do on TF's and late F's as they have a shield around the lever to stop tea leafs doing just what you are trying to do. Basically you need to poke something long and thin through the bumper opening (or possibly from under the car) and move the release lever. I've not done it myself but know it is possible.

If in doubt take it to your local dealer.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
234 Posts
This happened to me on my former MGF. The cable had come detached under the bonnet. The garage put the car on the ramps and opened the bonnet from underneath. They re attached the cable and I never had the problem again. The whole job took about 5 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts