1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All....
I need some urgent help...
Car = 2002 ZR Diesel 101BHP, with 86k on the clock.... owned from NEW.

Driving home from work tonight, put my foot down, and NO POWER! Looked in mirrors and it was so smokey I could even see the car behind me.

Pulled over, did the usual checks, all looks fine, pulled off, NO POWER and enough smoke under acceleration to destroy the entire planet in 2 seconds flat.

Starts fine, idles fine, no noise... no oil loss, no water loss.

Lumpy under load, no power, lots of smoke, one owner scared of a massive $$$$$$$

So, Gurus, including Diesel Guru's help me out... before I find a garage and get changed a fortune...... HEEEELLLPPP!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
sounds like a turbo prob , i presume its got one ??? if so does the smoke start when the turbo shoud start to boost ?

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I would say it smokes when the turbo should be under load....

Suggests to me the fuel is increasing as it should, but the air is not... so either turbo is not compressing it, or there is a leak.

Does the famous (or rather infamous) hole in the intercooler pipe cause these symptoms?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
chilljohn said:
sounds like a turbo prob , i presume its got one ??? if so does the smoke start when the turbo shoud start to boost ?
Seconded, could be the entire turbo or just the seals, might be a good time to upgrade the turbo, the unit from the Land Rover Storm Td5 engine is a bit bigger and a straight bolt on job giving a little extra performance.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
its a good place to start , whip the pipe off and check the spindle on the turbo moves freely , and isnt coated in oil, if it is an oil seal could have gone , i know a split pipe ould cause loss of power and a bit of smoke but not known one cause enough to smog the perosn behind you as much as you say (never had a derv), like i said 1st thing id try is whip pipe off check spindle moves freely , and the pipe isnt split and the inter cooler isnt full of oil

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JUst had a peek, gotta be up at 5:30 for work so going bed soon...

There's some oil over the BIG pipe, so probably some in the intercooler, but I won't know until tomorrow eve when I get chance to look. It's always been a bit oily, and I've been told before you can get oil inside the pipes.... but it doesn't look too healthy.

Turbo is supposed to be BULLET PROOF, it makes no weird noises.....

Anyway, checked the turbo (pulling the pipe off), does this need to be done from Underneath?

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
dunno on yours mate on my 620ti the big pipe between the intercooler to the turbo is all i neeeded to take off, then stick your finger into the trbo hole , when cold, you should feel the spindle ,like a fan,

if the pipes are not soaking in oil, and the spindle is free, and not coated in oil you might be lucky and just need a new pipe

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone actually driving a ZR diesel had a similar problem? I guess I'll have to leave it 24hours to find out that....

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
dont panic just yet !! lol , i know how u fel mind but it could just be due to a split hose ! does it swell upon reving the engine ? noit that i suggest you go rev it at half 12 lol

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
my money is on the turbo stuart, we've ha d acouple go on the diesel section recently, a little oil is normal, but lots generally means tubo has fallen apart.

remove the pip from the intake side and try the turbine for play and visially inspect it.

you might get lucky and it be a hose but the oil indicates the turbo is at fault

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AndBurG said:
my money is on the turbo stuart, we've ha d acouple go on the diesel section recently, a little oil is normal, but lots generally means tubo has fallen apart.

remove the pip from the intake side and try the turbine for play and visially inspect it.

you might get lucky and it be a hose but the oil indicates the turbo is at fault
I guess it all depends on what is a little, and what is a lot...

The hoses have always had a greasy covering, and theres certainly none dripping anywhere... it's just a greasy smear over the hoses, looking really greasy near the bottom of the intercooler...

So it's almost certainly Hose, or Turbo fault, which is better than terminal engine failure....

"remove the pip from the intake side "? What's the pip? Is there something little I can remove, to see inside? Also does that have to be done from above, or underneath? I have ramps, so either is possible....

As for hose failure, where do I need to look?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
check the bottom intercooler hose, right ah nd side of the rad, this is usually where the hoses go. remove the engine cover and you can see the full length of the top hose for cracks/splits.

may be worthwile revving the engine gently using the potentiometer on the left hand arch, if nothing is apparent here as it may only open up under pressure

from yesterday.....if you remove the pipe from the intake side of the turbo you will see the compressor wheel, there should ideally be no play in this at all and very little oil, if its covered in oil its probably gone :(

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Check all of the hoses are correctly attached and not split anywhere as the first port of call.

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advise... I've taken a detailed look at the hoses and one looks damaged and has a hole in..... The pipe is, as said, the big one and it's gone where it goes down the side of the radiator.

Again late in from Work, so will be taking the pipes of first thing tomorrow morning. Would a temporary fix with electrical tape get me by? I don't know if these pipes are readily available from the dealer or if I'll have to go somewhere else to get one....

·
Registered
other_rover
2,435 Posts
You can still get these pipes from Dealer. I think from memory there about £36 + VAT.

The TD's do tend to accumulate quite a lot of oil in the pipes in comparision to petrols, i assume this causes deterioation of the pipes and makes them split easier.

Tape would work as a temp measure, use some type of strong duck tape.

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll get the part number from the ex-dealers tomorrow, and check.... unless someone on here can confirm from the parts catalogue...

It certainly looks VERY similar.... but anything like the height of the intercooler could be different, so looks can be decieving..

Anyway, carried out a temporary repair, and it's been good for 40 miles, so looking good so far....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts