MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, Hope someone can provide some sort of advice.

I have a 2003 (53 Reg) Rover 75 which was brought pre-registered (6 months old but 11 miles on clock). Now 2 and a bit years down the line with some 10,800 miles on the clock - it's Ill - Hopefully not terminally - but who knows.

Basically its putting out white/grey smoke on startup, once its reached operating temperature (5 or 10 mins) the smoke clears and all is fine.

Local Dealer (Crypton chcek) confirms that smoke is from burning Oil (although Oil/Water levels are fine).

Dealer says it could be anything, and they will only give ballpark quote:

- 500 to 1,000 if its a simple Head off, Head skim (and/or valves) and refit.
- about 4 grand if they Strip/Rebuild
- about 6 grand if they Replace the unit

Given Rovers Dem isse, the lack of Warranty and Low resale value im not willing to spend that sort of money.

Can anyone Help - Any suggestions would be appreciatted (I'm in Midlands - just outside Northampton).

·
Registered
rover_75
72 Posts
Here's my guess

Hello Mate,
My guess would be that the there is a seal, or seals gone. Could be valve stem seals, may be a turbo seal. Some how oil is dripping into a possition where it can be pulled into the combustion chamber/s and burnt off. I assume that you get the white smoke on first start of the day and then after that it is OK. You also say that it is not using much oil so there is no real problem with engine. Why don't you just continue to use car until it gets bad enough to do something about. Then take it to a garage who actually know a bit about engines and get their opinion. I dought it will be the horror that your fist garage have said.
Mike D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Mike; re your quote about taking it to someone who knows about engines - The Dealer i consulted is an ex-ROVER Dealer - in fact they have serviced the car in the past !

·
Registered
rover_75
72 Posts
I get the picture.

Sounds like the garage will not commit to price as origin of oil getting burnt is not clear. seems a bit strange that it takes until the engine is at operating temp to stop putting out smoke. If it was valves seals I would expect it to clear after a minute or two. If oil & water both good and you don't use a lot of oil I wonder if it is just overfueling until warm. Can you smell burning oil in the smoke??

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
NIGEL25 said:
Turbo seals?
My thoughts exactly. It should be possible to disconnect turbo to inlet manifold pipe to isolate the turbo, if the smoke clears up, there's your suspect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer confirms Turbo has blown and is pouring oil into inlet/exhaust.

New turbo is 725 + vat !!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
same happened to me tonight

The same thing happened to me tonight on the way home from work. Filled the road with white smoke ... seems to have used a bit of oil, and there was oil around the exhaust. So this way well be another blown turbo :cus:

And you say the dealer says £725 + VAT, yet another poor few months for me then.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the ebay links, got a new turbo for £200 and is now fitted. My 75 has now quit the smoking habbit ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it was from ebay, the turbo was new and boxed in rover packaging, and I was the only bid for the thing. Must of been my lucky day (could have been luckier by not having the thing blow on me in the first place).

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
I think there are some very brash and inaccurate quotes here - £1k for a head gasket job?!

10,800 miles and the turbo has blown? Shocking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts