MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 dream journeys in June & July, my V6 refuses to start!
Not the faintest clicking, no ticking, nothing at all when I put the key in the starting position.
Everything is switched on as usual, dash & counters, lamps, radio is able to work.
When I try to start, the fan is stopping as - I assume - it does in such a situation: mind that when the engine is starting and all is fine, I don't notice everything working...

The battery, a strong AGM Banner - 2 1/2 years - looks fine, very well cared for, regularly charged and tested gives 12.7V.
The starter - 1 1/2 year - is a nearly new one, sold as refurbished in Nov 2018. I assume that the solenoid was changed and was new.
The car is always garaged when at home.
Not even the slightest mark of moisture or rot anywhere, the whole car is very sound.

I thought it could be the immobilizer but I've successfully tried to open, lock & reopen the car with the fob, and it works fine (red light first clicking fast, then slowly and regularly when car is locked). Could the key not be recognized all the same when inserted?
How could I know if it's the immobilizer or not?

It's scary & I'm lost... :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm an absolute ass, a desperate driver! I thinks it might be the horrific heat we are suffering of at the moment. Here is the evidence I was hopeless when I attempted to start!

·
Registered
rover_600
113 Posts
The key fobs for our cars have a dual system the door open close buttons program through the cars ECU and have a range of tricks they can do on one push and two push of the buttons.
The security feature of the fob is a small chip located on the outside edge of the key fob this contains a code that is read by the magic ring at the ignition switch. A correctly cut key will lock and unlock everything a correctly programmed fob will do as the car is programmed to. However the car must have the transducer code programmed into it for the key you are using to allow it to start the car. The car can be programmed to have up to six keys start it. I know this is of little help but it gives a brief outline of how the system works.
I have known cars to loose their programmed codes not usually overnight as they are written to eprom and this should not be affected by any outside source.
An interesting one, sounds like may need a session on a computer to see what the car thinks is happening and to see if the chip reader is working.
Are you using a different key? As each key has an individual chip which the car has to be programmed to recognise. Also when replacing fob covers you have to transfer the small chip over.
Whilst the buttons may open doors the chip is separate from the circuit board that the ignition switch reads.
Hope this is of some help.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
rover_600
113 Posts
Put the car in park or Netrual. It will start. I am so glad it is not just me.
Alan

·
Registered
rover_600
113 Posts
Automatics should have a device that stops you taking the key out unless the car is in park. Would save so much confusion.
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you @alanaslan for your kind contributions. It's ever helpful when you're not alone in your misery.
The fact is I don't understand why my auto gear lever had been put in the drive position.
A good lesson nevertheless: I should have look at was was indicated in front of me but I had two little grandchildren - the smaller not very patient! - on the back seat to take home, that's my excuse. Hence we took the 25 without air con... :eek:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Well, the best result. Nothing needs doing to the car, and the driver learns something. However, your family probably will not forget!

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the best result. Nothing needs doing to the car, and the driver learns something. However, your family probably will not forget!
I think there are some more important things for my wife, daughter & son-in-law than a ridiculous mistake done by myself in the 75 because all is well that ends well and no harm had been done to anybody or anything. With fully opened windows the 50km journey in the 25 was bearable even with more than 35°C outside! Even my naughty (but lovely) granddaughter didn't complain! We are now used to such heats...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts