MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post and done in a bit of a panic, hopefully there is a quick simple fix as opposed to the expensive garage type.

I have a ZS 110+, yesterday the car ran fine, tonite however I went out and when I try to start it it sounded like a machine gun noise, no engine turn over at all just a lound fast clicking, all the electrics go hay wire, (windows going up and down etc) and there is a quiet alarm type noise coming from the engoine area, sorry I am not mechaniclly minded at all,

Please please could someone point me in the right direction / advise.

Many thanks

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
1. Dead battery
2. poor battery connections
3. Poor/broken earth between engine and battery
4. Bad earth between battery and body
5. Bad connection at starter motor

6. Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
other_mg
70 Posts
clicking is your starter motor

most likely a bad/dead battery - should be an indicator on the battery itself - if it is green the battery is ok, any other colour and its going.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The fast clicking noise sounds like a flat/dead battery, but if that was the case the electrics wouldn't go haywire like you describe, they wouldn't work! Could be a faulty earth as Sheddist suggests.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your replys,

Is there any way of systematically tracking fora bad earth.

Does anyonne have any links to pics of the MG starter motor so I can at least check its connections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well a little development, not necassarily good,

Checked the battery indicator and shows black / green.

Went then to start the car, turned the key, didnt even get as far as starting the engine and the alarm went crazy, and couldnt disable it, went off after around 2 mins, dont theink the neighbours were impressed though !!

Does that give any particular indications.

heres hoping

Many thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It gets worse,

Now none of the electrics work including the locking apart from the alarm, I have to manually open the door, but as soon as I try and start the engine off goes the alarm, I am presuming the imoboliser has kicked in, I have tried the process of manully entering the key code via the door lock but I do not recieve the flashing lights to show it was correct or the beep to say it is not, and the symptoms persist.

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
This is happening with my ZS right now, I opened the drivers door using the key turned the ignition on the alarm went of so i pressed the button on the fob and it stopped the car could then be locked and unlocked as normal, but the electircs are still playing up having checked the earths and checking connections to everything i can get to.

Im gonna have another look around under the bonnet to see if there is anything i have missed, i will post back if i manage to get my car fixed.

And my battery is also fine, its a worrying problem, but I will have a decent look around this afternon hopefully i will find the problem.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
sounds very battery/electrical related. check all earths and fuses. i'm not sure on the layout of the engine bay sorry :(

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It gets worse,

Now none of the electrics work including the locking apart from the alarm, I have to manually open the door, but as soon as I try and start the engine off goes the alarm, I am presuming the imoboliser has kicked in, I have tried the process of manully entering the key code via the door lock but I do not recieve the flashing lights to show it was correct or the beep to say it is not, and the symptoms persist.

Thanks for your time
Symptoms of a seriously flat battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Horray,

Charged battery and all seems fine, so all your comments were right and very gratefully recieved and all resolved with a cheap car charger.

Will have to wait to see if it holds the charge etc but looks a lot better.

Really odd though the alarm started going off while the battery was OUT just randomnly, panicked as I couldnt switch it off, had to place batterry back in.

Many many thnaks for all your help, I will become a devout fan on this site from now on.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts