MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well trying to get the car through mot, had 3 out of the 4 pipes a tad rusty so got a local mechanic to change the pipes for me. only one not changed was the front passenger side. went back for re test, the pedal was slightly spongy, but thought it would be ok. failed on the brake test, imbalance of 20% on front and 35% on rear. So went back to the mechanic, bleed all the brakes again, seemed abit better. went back for a retest today failed again, 20% imbalance front, 40% imbalance rear. So can anyone explain to me how changing 3 brake pipes can cause a imbalance like this??

oh and on the first test before the pipes were changed the imbalance was 5% front and 8% rear. its a 2000 r25 with abs??

does the abs need something done or the balance value's need sorted??

please help i dont know what to do??

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well was told today that i need a pressurised bleed, so will have to do that now!!! really starting to et to me, cars now off the road and no one seems to know whats wrongs with it.

·
Registered
rover_25
188 Posts
brakes

well was told today that i need a pressurised bleed, so will have to do that now!!! really starting to et to me, cars now off the road and no one seems to know whats wrongs with it.
a friend of mine had a problem the same as yours and we just couldn't get the air out of the system until we bought a pressure bleeding kit and that worked a treat done in minutes and no more problems,this will definately sort you out mate.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Out of interest how do they test for the balance on the brakes? I'm sure a couple of years ago my mg midget passed its MOT when the pads had worn down so far that there was no pad material left on one side, it was just metal to metal braking! It pulled slightly to one side under braking but stopped the car fine though haha

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well its just the mot centre, imbalance between left and right, has to be below 30%

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well used the pressurised system, didnt help any. so thought its def a air problem as the pedal feels spongy, so removed all the lines and then refilled them and pressurised bleed. Still a imbalance dont think its as bad put u can still notice the car pulling to one side on the road. Realy starting to annoy me now plus the cars off the road!! also try changing the master cylinder which made no difference. is there something in the abs system im missing or would the balance values be damaged?? please help

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Bout ye big lad

This is a bit of a long shot, but did you:

Bleed the brakes in the correct order?

With the engine running and the handbrake off?

I changed the fluid in mine just over a week ago and it's hunky dory.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yer did that, LF - RR - RF - LR, its a real mystery. its at the mechanics now so hopefully he can sort it. sick of looking at the brakes now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts