MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New problem with the TF, driving home in the early hours of this morning with a friend following me, he flagged me down to tell me my brake lights were permanently on - except when I braked, at which point they went off!

Now this isn't ideal, so I'm going to have a go at adjusting the switch as has been described on here before for Mk1 MGFs. However, as I've got a TF I guess I've got the switch that shouldn't cause this problem anyway? What else could have gone wrong that I could check?

Thanks guys, sorry I always seem to post about problems!

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
The normal switch problem leaves the lights on and they don't go off when braking. Sounds more like a leccie leak - loose connection, faulty earth or even a genuinely defective switch.

But worth doing a limbo under the steering wheel to check first.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
Presumably the main lights were on at the time do the brake lights still come on when the main lights are off?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris T said:
Presumably the main lights were on at the time do the brake lights still come on when the main lights are off?
The lights were on at the time, yes. I've just been outside and I can't make the brake lights stay on either with or without the main lights on. I know it's not fixed, people have mentioned my lights flickering before.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
DAVIDT6DCM said:
This might help,courtesy of Dieters site http://www.mgfcar.de/brakes/index.htm
I've got that printed out, but I'm having some trouble with following the instructions. Does the Mk2 switch come out in the same way as the Mk1 switch, do you know? Or do I need to use tools, 'cause it's not moving with fingers alone! I can't even get the wires off!

(You're right, this IS the first time I've tried to fix something with a car myself!)

(Wires off now.)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I didn't manage to get the switch off (which is probably a good thing) but when I reattached the wires the problem seems to have gone... I'm sure it'll come back, and I'll be back here for more ideas when it does! :)

Thanks to everyone who replied.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem returns!

Driving back home last night, got flashed by a BMW M3 driver who pulled alongside and told me: "You've got a fault mate, your brake lights are flashing on and off all the time." This depresses me a bit as I'd thought the car was FINALLY fault free, which would have been something of a first.

Anyway, I've emailed my local garage (who were supposed to investigate the problem when the car was with them for brake pads and window regulator last week) to book the car in for the brake light switch to be replaced, as this seemed a sensible place to start. Does anyone know of any other likely causes of this problem that I can get them to check at the same time?

Thanks,
JB

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Short circuit caused by chafing wires is another cause, but much harder to locate. To test for it disconnect the brake light switch. If the brake lights are still flashing then the problem is in the wiring. It could well be caused by the wiring to the high level brake light!

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
JustinB said:
Driving back home last night, got flashed by a BMW M3 driver who pulled alongside and told me: "You've got a fault mate, your brake lights are flashing on and off all the time." This depresses me a bit as I'd thought the car was FINALLY fault free, which would have been something of a first.

Anyway, I've emailed my local garage (who were supposed to investigate the problem when the car was with them for brake pads and window regulator last week) to book the car in for the brake light switch to be replaced, as this seemed a sensible place to start. Does anyone know of any other likely causes of this problem that I can get them to check at the same time?

Thanks,
JB

Could be the handbrake switch? The lever could be bouncing and/or cables could need adjusting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cjmillsnun said:
Short circuit caused by chafing wires is another cause, but much harder to locate. To test for it disconnect the brake light switch. If the brake lights are still flashing then the problem is in the wiring. It could well be caused by the wiring to the high level brake light!
I've already had the wiring that runs up the boot hinge to bits when I was trying to find out what was causing my alarm to go off at random, and there was no damage to the wiring in that location. Oddly the alarm problem went away on it's own, though. Are there any other locations where the wires can easily get chafed?

The brake lights only flicker when I'm driving - I've tried bouncing the car on the drive, wiggling wires, tapping the lights themselves (all very scientific!) but I've never managed to make them flicker while the car's stationary. Not really up for going for a drive with the brake light switch disconnected in case my mate runs me up the back while he's waiting for the lights to flicker!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
petevick said:
I'm not so sure, TimF had this problem and managed to fix it via the switch, altho what he did I'm not too sure.
I had a look at the switch the last time I had this problem but I couldn't see any means of adjusting it. Ideas welcome though!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey peeps, havent had time to read all the threads so dont know if this is has been mentioned!!

my brake lights were flashing on and off a few months back and i found if you go upside down on your seat and look at the top of you brake pedal there is two nuts 13mm i beleive, loosen the far one and tighten the nearest one to you and it wont be so close to the switch which sets the lights off

1 - 20 of 21 Posts