MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year? I asked for help & advice and received it from Ken 75;Stew 998;V8 King; Mike M & Chan Chee Hoe. If there were others who helped and I have missed you off the list, please forgive me. I would welcome help from all you experts out there. I would also appreciate help from ASK THE GURUS. i suppose I will have to post this very same message to them too.

I have a 75 2litre V6 Auto Conn. I bought the car in July 2004 and have been in dispute with the garage ever since. The garage repaired the noisy tappets by replacing the oil seal ring on the oil pick up pipe. Soon after this repair my 75 developed a rattling vibrating noise soon after I started it & especially when the car was cold. Having taken advice I held the garage responsible. I suggested that they would have had to disturb the exhaust down pipe when replacing the oil seal ring and by doing that they had damaged the flexi pipe. They told me the noise was coming from the down pipe but exhaust items were not covered by the years warranty that came with the 75. They denied being at fault.
An inspector heard the noise on 2/2/06 . 14 weeks later I received the report. The Inspector said (1)categorically that the garage would not have had to disturb the front/down pipe but he did agree that the noise was coming from the down pipe. (2)He then said that the noise was a characteristic of the 75 and thus the garage could not be held responsible and (3) He said that the noise may be an annoyance to me but it was not detrimental to the car.
Obviously I think he is totally wrong in both 1 & 2. As to 3 , I do not see why I should have to just put up with it especially as the 75 is classed as a luxury car. Please may I obtain answers to 1. 2 & 3 and would also welcome any other useful advice how I should proceed now.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hello Martin
Firstly I am not an expert, but my thoughts are. If the car was not making this noise before the garage worked on it then you are right in requesting they resolve the issue. I am a little confused as to who this inspector is and where they came from? (The warantee company I presume, now I wonder if he is being even handed). Thirdly I would take the car to another dealer/ garage for an independant second opinion on the fault. Get a written report.
I found the inspectors points 2 and 3 to be quite outrageous. Point 2, this is not characteristic of any other 75. Point 3, How dare he suggest you should just have to put up with it.
I cannot answer for point 1 as I said I am not a mechanical expert.
Take all this information to Trading Standards.

MM

·
Registered
rover_75
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help and Adviceneeded again, PLEASE.

Hi MM,

Really good of you to reply. I appreciate that. Was trying to be brief, Apologies. I have been in dispute with this large dealership since I bought the car. I went to Trading Standards initially but they insisted all along that I should continue to be humble and thought I would get better results. Not so.
I went to the Retail Motor Industry Federation( RMIF) and they conciliated but basically sided with the garage, their member. They had the cheek to say that I should not complain . They said that although I paid £10K the car was worth a lot more. Anyway , they said the exhaust down pipe was not an item covered under the years warranty. Anyway the dispute carried on. The RMIF then said that they would appoint an Expert to Inspect the car and they would pay for it.
I was not happy about that as I wanted to employ an independent expert. Anyway the garage refused and said that if I did not choose to go along with the RMIF' s choice of inspector they would drop out. I had no choice. I am finding it hard to get help from any another Rover dealer. I feel they will not want to know.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Sounds like a complete nightmare. They are behaving like the worst kind of insurance company. Look how much they are prepared to spend to avoid paying out a few pounds on a valid claim. Unbelievable scum.
Are you member of one of the motoring organisations. I wonder if you can arrange an idependant and unbiased inspection by one of those, the type of inspection you have before buying used car. Write to Motoring Which. Is watchdog still on the television? I don't have one so don't know. Always good to inform them of this sort of thing. Tell the garage that you are doing these things. Write to their managing director personally. It's surprising what a company will do to prevent negative advertising. Especially on national television.
I got a new engine and gearbox on a ford transit for a pinking issue, that didn't resolve the problem until they got to the third distributor. I used the tactics as set out above. They even offered me my money back, all to try and keep me quiet.

MM

·
Registered
168 Posts
check the exhaust front mounting bracket,mine was broken and rattled like mad when cold, fitted newone all ok now..have the same problem with my warranty company over here in sweden, they just don´t want to pay for anything, my cooling fan failed £500 over here so i got one from the uk £250 inc p+p, the only otherthing you could try is the small claims court,but they´ll find a way out...

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
I agree that this isn't a 75 charactersitic, but also that it isn't likely to do any harm. As for who caused it, you state that the rattle started 'soon after' the repair. It is of course entirely possible that they didn't need to touch the downpipe and the fact that it started rattling soon after is entirely coincidental. Hopefully a technical expert will be along to state whether they would need to remove the downpipe to replace the oil seal.

Either way, you have obviously lived with an annoying problem for almost a year. Given that this is likely to be a quick and cheap to fix is it not worth just getting it repaired so you can get on with enjoying what is a fine car, galling though that may be? I can understand your desire not to let them 'win' but is persuing this further really worth the time and effort?

·
Registered
rover_75
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi MM,
I'll try National Breakdown for an inspection. I wrote to Which and Watchdog & never rec'd a reply. Told the garage what I would do & they did not care. I wrote to MD & he did not care. Basically he said they were not at fault.
Thanks.
Martin.

·
Registered
rover_75
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Iga,
problem is I tried to find a solution. Did I mention the garage said they could replace the down pipe for £600 but could not guarantee that the noise would not return. That is not cheap. I don't want all this trouble but the noise is so embarassing on what is termed as a luxury car.. Too expensive to buy another 75 as I would not get much for mine. I paid 10 k and I would probably not even get 6K now.
Martin.

·
Registered
rover_75
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Dusty bin,

I'll try checking the exhaust front mounting bracket and see if that solves it.
Eventually I could see myself going to Court.

Martin.

·
Registered
rover_75
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My ZT190 has just had its 1st MOT, the front downpipe bracket was also broken. Is it a common problem?
I am not aware that that is the case at all. In fact there was a problem with my exhaust down pipe/ catalytic converter. I had it replaced and it has solved the problem. It was absolutely nothing to do with the bracket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts