MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am not an MGTF owner yet, but have signed on the dotted line and will be from the end of next week

We can't wait to get our 03 TF, but have heard nothing but doom and gloom from car buffs since we signed. Problems with tracking, seals, cylinder heads (or something) and rattles.....can this be true?

We have been given a 3 year parts and labour warranty from a reputable garage where we have been customers for some time.....but a friend has said this means nothing if it is not a manufacturer's warranty and that parts are impossible to get a hold of....

Does any of this ring any bells....I want to look forward to getting our new baby next week and can't get out of the deal now !!! Please help! Tess

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Welcome to the forums Tess.

You sound like you have some nice supportive friends.

If they had a clue what they were talking about they would know the TF is about to go back into production. It will be very difficult to make new cars without parts.

Being a 2 seater sports car, be prepared for the odd rattle and scuttle shake. Most makes are the same and its just a side effect of the type of car.

Tracking is a new one. No problems there.

Seals. Well as with all convertibles if it hasn't been looked after you may get a leak but its unlikely.

Cylinder heads are fine provided it is well maintained. Check the coolant levels on a regulr basis and you will be fine.

Enjoy the car is all I can say really. The warrnty will give that extra piece of mind as it would with ny new purchase.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm sure you'll love your TF, especially with the great weather that we are havig at the moment.

Enjoy ;)

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,176 Posts
Welcome :)

Looks like you have been told all of the cliché’s about the MGTF.

Tracking can be a problem but only if you have a Muppet doing the tracking for you!

In regards to HGF the 03 on TF seems immune to that providing as Stu says the coolant system is well looked after, so investigate any drop in coolant level before it becomes a big problem.

They can leak into the cabin like a sieve but only if the windows and hood hasn’t been adjusted properly.

As for parts being impossible to get hold off is rubbish, not to say that there are no problems but in general after all there is a warehouse in Leicestershire with tens of millions or pounds worth of parts for MGR cars.

If you have any problems or questions you will get some fantastic answers here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Thanks very much for the assurances everyone! I had a feeling I would get some decent advice on here and will keep you posted about my lovely new car...can't wait!

Meanwhile, I will continue to drool over the millions of gallery pics and dream...

Tess

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
So what are the first modifications to be made the Tess?

You won't be able to resist ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts