MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've finally got around to registering, having been lurking around here for a while. Seems like a friendly place to be, as long as you're driving the right car ;-)

And, of course, it has to be an F or a TF.

I bought mine almost a year ago, just after the MGR crash: a Sonic Blue TF160. It's actually my second MG (I had a 1972 Midget until about 12 years ago) and yes, I love it.

However... after I filled up last night, there was a knocking noise from the back as I pulled out of the garage. Once I was going, I couldn't hear anything strange. Even now, I can't convince myself that the noise is really there once I'm above 10mph but it's probably just being masked by all the other music.

I've had both rear wheels off and nothing looks or feels odd. The exhaust mountings are intact and I can't reproduce the noise by shaking them. I'm wondering if it might be a drive shaft (it sounds a bit like the prop-shaft clonk you can get on front engine/rwd cars) but 9000 miles is a bit early for that. I don't understand why it wasn't knocking before I filled up and was after but I guess it has to start sometime.

I do have an insurance-backed 2 year dealer warranty, which I hope will cover any work necessary, but I'd really like to have your thoughts before I lose my car for a few days.

Chris

·
Registered
273 Posts
Not to be alarmist or anything but, I've recently had a knocking when pulling away but not at normal driving sppeds that I had convinced myself was my exhaust knocking against the sub frame as it had been vibrating against it every now and again, and I just thought it had shifted a bit more and was being a bit noisier. The knocking also started to happen when I started the engine of a morning, but not all the time. Again it sounded like an exhaust problem.

But last night after a spirited nighttime drive, I was about 5 mins from home driving normally, when the knocking got louder and was also accompanied by a lot more squeaking. I stopped to have a look and when Idling the car was vibrating a lot as if I was sitting in the middle of a minor earthquake.

The car got me home and again at speed didn't seem too bad but the knocking noise was louder than ever when pulling away from standstill. Got the car up on a ramp this morning expecting to find my exhaust had come adrift in some way, but imagine my suprise when I saw that one of the torsion arms that supports the engine from the subframe had sheared off near where it is bolted to the sump. :yikes:

The strange thing was, its supposed to be connected to the sump by four bolts, two on the bottom and two on the side, but the two bottom bolts were missing completely.

I'm guessing the arm failed because it was taking to much strain in the one area due to the other two bolts being missing. Luckily the bolts that had been holding the arm in place were still ok, so I was able to remove them and use them in place of the absent bolts in the holes on the bottom of the sump to secure the arm amd provide support for the engine atleast making the car driveable.

I'm amazed that its lasted as long as it has, as its definitely been a fault on the car since I've owned it and that was 13,000 miles and 2 track days ago!

Its obviously very unlikly that this is what is causing the knocking on your car but it may be an area to check if all other usual avenues are discounted as causes.

Luckily for me my car is in at Techspeed for its service tomorrow anyway, and after a quick call to them this morning, (they had no luck in trying to source a new part) but they had a rummage around in their parts bin, and have found a replacement bracket for me so the TF should be as good as new by tomorrow afternoon!

Hope you find the cause of the knocking as mine was irritating me for weeks, and was in fact quite dangerous!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
garyb0479 said:
Got the car up on a ramp this morning expecting to find my exhaust had come adrift in some way, but imagine my suprise when I saw that one of the torsion arms that supports the engine from the subframe had sheared off near where it is bolted to the sump. :yikes:

The strange thing was, its supposed to be connected to the sump by four bolts, two on the bottom and two on the side, but the two bottom bolts were missing completely.
Yikes! I'm glad you spotted yours in time. I think that your description gives me enough detail so that I know where to look. Thanks a lot. A job for tomorrow, I guess.

Chris

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
garyb0479 said:
but imagine my suprise when I saw that one of the torsion arms that supports the engine from the subframe had sheared off near where it is bolted to the sump.
Happily, this wasn't the problem. All bolts were present and correct and the engine support looked fine. Thanks for the excellent description - it was easy to see just what you meant.

Chris

·
Registered
273 Posts
Chris P said:
Happily, this wasn't the problem. All bolts were present and correct and the engine support looked fine. Thanks for the excellent description - it was easy to see just what you meant.

Chris
Glad yours is ok, had mine replaced this afternoon and its made such a difference to the cars behaviour when changing up through the gears. No longer get lurches as I put the power back on, its much much smoother. Same when backing off the power too! Also no more knocking!!

Hope you get to the bottom of yours soon too!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Chris P said:
No long term damage, I take it?
No, it was a simple and relatively cheap fix. I guess if I hadn't noticed the problem and continued to drive it without refixing it as i did, it could have caused a lot more damage. Apparently these arms used to give way on the cup race cars now and again even when they were correctly bolted on!

Still can't get over how much of a smoother drive it is now its been fixed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts