MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me and Donny met up this morning for a blast on rollers!

He also took me for a quick spin in his car...........OH MY GOD. It flys! On our private road, I saw triple figures in no time! The exhaust/turbo sounds evil too! Good stuff mate!

Anyway, on my mechanical pumped 200, it made 121 BHP/195.3lbft. Very very impressed, thought it wouldn't even get 100 lol. I'm running 17 PSI too! I'll scan my graph in later, my torque peaks at around 2307......Where as Donny's has nearly another 1000RPM before it peaks.

I'll elt Donny uncover his results, but I'll tell you this now. His torque curve's CRAZY! On my graph, it peaks and goes straight down, while on his it peaks and keeps level!

Edit: Graph!

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Well here you go:-

My 400's result from mine and Friggerpants RR session this morning
Running Hybrid turbo running @ 21 psi boost, FMIC, Ron's tuning Box set at 1'oclock on the map dial and 3 o'clock on the Fuel Dial, Pipercross Viper Air filter with custom ram inlet port, Dave's Custom built Stainless exhaust system and a decat section, blanked and removed EGR valve.

151.2 Bhp and 201.7 lbs/ft torque.

I'm a little disapointed was hoping for about the 160bhp 230lb/ft mark but at least i broke the 150 barrier just!

plenty of work to be done yet need to get a set of Dave's injectors fitted amongst other things, then see if i need to go down the Rechipping route for it all to come together!

Oh and heres a video for Mad, a run from 30-90 in 4th gear you, can time it for yourselves and draw your own conclusions!

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb20/Donnydiesel400/?action=view&current=30-90-4th.flv

all comments and thoughts welcome...

Cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nice! :)

Shows that the 150hp barrier can be broken without new injectors after all. No doubt the turbo and the FMIC really are a worthwhile mod, not that I doubted that for a second!

I'm well aware of just how much faster my car is in colder weather, so the L series obviously responds extremely well to intake cooling mods like bigger intercoolers and turbos.

Definitely next on my list of performance mods! I have other fuelling modifications in mind for later, heehee. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice! :)

Shows that the 150hp barrier can be broken without new injectors after all. No doubt the turbo and the FMIC really are a worthwhile mod, not that I doubted that for a second!

I'm well aware of just how much faster my car is in colder weather, so the L series obviously responds extremely well to intake cooling mods like bigger intercoolers and turbos.

Definitely next on my list of performance mods! I have other fuelling modifications in mind for later, heehee. ;)
Dont forget that a FMIC and pipework + hoses then a hybrid will set you back at least £600-£700. Then to get the best from the turbo you are going to need some sort of decent exhaust system, another good few hundred quid. Then to fit all this takes some effort I am sure mark will agree, worth it though in the end.

Injectors cost £245 and take about 30 minutes to fit.

The choice is yours!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me? Injectors and Hybrid next!

I've got to ask you Dave, could you PM me a price on an exhaust system without the backbox?

·
Registered
rover_600
255 Posts
Dont forget that a FMIC and pipework + hoses then a hybrid will set you back at least £600-£700. Then to get the best from the turbo you are going to need some sort of decent exhaust system, another good few hundred quid. Then to fit all this takes some effort I am sure mark will agree, worth it though in the end.

Cheers
So the injectors will give similar performance gains on their own, is that what you're saying?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
nice work lads, very impressive results. thanks for the vid mark, that kind of speed timing will show up alot more difference better modded and std motors. i would have a fiddle with rons box mark, as ure bhp graph shows abit of a flat spot around 3600-3800 mark, might be due to the boost being too high or ure not getting enough air in, u say ure running a ram air system. these have been said to give such characteristics, just ask rover ron, he had alot of testing on the inlet side of things. u might find that going back to the airbox with a better filter and better inlet piping, will help, certainly helped mine, the only problem is u loss the noise.

and luke thats not bad at all, did u have the pump screwed up, much black smoke?? 120bhp with no exhaust system and standard turbo etc, is quite good.

keep up the good work

edit: just looking at it again its hard to see the boost graph form bhp, maybe there isnt a flat spot?? and is that boost graph accurate?? y is there a dip around 3200

·
Registered
260 Posts
For me? Injectors and Hybrid next!

I've got to ask you Dave, could you PM me a price on an exhaust system without the backbox?
the center section without the back box is 140.

I wont do a full system without the rear silencer as you will be getting pulled by the blue lights every two minutes.

Apart from that it would sound dreadful and the low deep bass that it would produce would make you go deaf after a couple of weeks.

Cheers

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Yer Mad,

i agree on the intake side of things going to some work on it think i'm going to purchase a BMC carbon airbox that Ron sells and one of the GBE boost controllers then once i've got a set of Dave's injectors fitted i will then play with the setting on Ron's box and possible go down the getting chipped route i already have a chipped ecu out of my old 200 that just needs coding to my car could be interesting to plug that in along with Ron's box, need to find someone to code it to my car though first anybody know someone who can do this?

cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I know your along way down the tuning route Mark, but wouldn't it have been cheeper to buy a second hand jet engine and strap it to your roof????:naughty: :rotflmao: :getcoat:
Jim

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
I know your along way down the tuning route Mark, but wouldn't it have been cheeper to buy a second hand jet engine and strap it to your roof????:naughty: :rotflmao: :getcoat:
Jim
I remember being told about somebody rigging up a old spitfire engine (WW2 plane, for the kids out there:p), to a car. This was during the 50's, and that got to some very interesting speeds!!

Great Looking results there lads, keep up the good work :broon:

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
556 Posts

Cheers
Yep, the choice is mine. ;)

If I go for the injectors, they'll be near last in the line of mods, as far as I'm concerned, not much point overfuelling the engine when you don't have the breathing sorted out first, at least as far as I'm concerned, but I'm just taking a slightly different route with my mods, probably end up in the same place as everyone else, just get there a different way! Doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong, always helps any community to have variety. :)

Seriously doubt an FMIC and uprated turbo will cost me that much, £300 tops, for the SH cooler (quite willing to modify an existing one) and turbo (SH, but I'll recon it myself) I'm after, fitting isn't exactly hard, I'm already used to putting intercoolers in places where they were never intended to be. :lol: Exhaust is already sourced, downpipe will be getting modded and things gas flowed, etc. Much more concerned with getting the handling, braking and drivetrain up to safe levels first, mind you. ;)

Bear in mind I have piles of Samco pipes, metal hoses and numerous other bits and bobs from my T16 days, so financially it's not going to hit me too hard, just a bit of work squeezing things in. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts