MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dam it the bloody tensioner backplate bot has sheared off I was torqueing it to 25nm and bammmm nuttttts what do i do to get to it without taking the head off?

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
drill down the middlle of it and screw a bolt in covered in superglue , when its set undo it and remove both the bolts togther

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carlofbrigg said:
drill down the middlle of it and screw a bolt in covered in superglue , when its set undo it and remove both the bolts togther

right Ive jack the bugger up but im worried that im straining the gearbox mounts?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
carlofbrigg said:
That's cheating.

Drill hole, tap said hole with left handed tap and screw a bolt into the hole and as it's screwing into the hole the wrong way it will unscrew the big bolt.

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Nick Birse said:
That's cheating.

Drill hole, tap said hole with left handed tap and screw a bolt into the hole and as it's screwing into the hole the wrong way it will unscrew the big bolt.
not go no left handed taps though - so i cheat but its same sort of thing

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I cant get my buds tap/die set in there whats the chances of the head off and gasket been alright? I think I allready know the answer.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
if you have a welder
place a large nut over the top of it and weld it on
this even works with bolts that have sheared off flush.

use a lot of amps

then you just use the nut to take it out

all the best.mark

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorted pheeew...

I was of the opinion that all hope was gone so stuff it, I jacked the engine to the max, and me buddy tapped it out whilst I cooled off.Warning to others with R8's dont do that bolt to 25nm-threadlock it to 14nm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts