MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, I asked for some help in identfying a strange rattling noise from my exhaust a few months ago.....someone said it might be one of the heatshields.......it was the heatshield at the engine side, the shield is hitting off the downpipes from the cylinderhead..or whatever that thing is.{engine}.......anyhow..can you take that off and its still safe? every time i rev it up you can hear it..makes the car sound like an old C4.....plus when its in idle you can hear it......like a loud tap tap noise
thanks guys

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
You might not do any immediate harm, but its there for a reason. If its just loose bolts you might be able to tighten them yourself, if some have sheered off or something then its a garage job (unless your happy tapping threads or fitting helicoils yourself). I had a bolt drop out of a heatshield on my exhaust, made a hell of a noise but 5 mins to fix (top tip - wait for the exhaust to cool down completely :toastie: )

·
Registered
mg_zs
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heatshield

Yes, still got almost a year left on the car.........i got it replaced, after its last service, a few weeks ago.... but its not as secure as the last one.......seems very lose at the bottom of the downpipes..not sure if thats just the way they are made to fit ...seems to me there are only two bolts holding them on.......one on each side............is this right?

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Back to workshop - you shouldn't be fiddling with this if the car is under warranty......that's what it's for!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts