MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Heater hose quick release connectors

5K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Martin Fletcher 
#1 ·
I need to release the two quick release connectors for the water feed / return to my TF's heater assembly. People refer to press and release, but I have pressed the sides of the plastic connector, and it does depress, but no release. Am I missing something??

Thought I'd rather pose the question here and get an answer than get anti-freeze all over my face and in my eyes in a moment of complete madness when I simply rip the lot out...

#3 ·
The method that you describe is similar to that of the quick release fuel line connector - the heater hose connector has two tabs on either end which have to be depressed as far as I could see, which is an action at a square angle to the pulling out action - hope it makes sense...

#4 ·
The tool you use on the press and release should be formed so at one
side it goes into the center hole and on the other side it has a slim hole
to push the sides together, theoreticaly easy, under the car can be a pig
though.

Also, check the former owner hasn't upgraded with an extra tubular tentioner around the pipe at the joints as, to be honest, the original parts were used to make the job fast, not long lasting.

I know for sure that three of my cars had extra tubular rings on them
when I got them, and I put a set on the fourth car myself.

I knw this may sould silly, but if you are going for a full drain and refill you might find it easiest to release these holders from above and throwing them in the trash can and replacing with good tubular tensioners (the ones you wrap around the piple and wind in on themselves, even Halfords have them)

#6 ·
If you look at the ends one should have a hole for the "spikey" side of
the tool and the other end is like two flat blades so the center of the
opposing side can go between making the "quick release" wider than
the hose, you then move the metal ring "thing" onto the pipe higher
up away from the inner metal pipe or lower (implossible on one side)
onto the pipe.

Either way, bin them and buy a new set from your local
motorfactors as they are a pig at the best of times, worst in bad weather...

#8 ·
Just to make sure we are talking about the same connector, I attach a picture. The yellow arrow indicates one of the sections that need to be pressed, with the other one on the opposite side.

No, that is just a joint, the metal joints either side are the dificult parts. The section you point out, does it have three exits or only two?

Either way, chane those quick release joints...

#9 · (Edited)
The metal sping loaded clamps that you are referring to must be the one arrowed green. I am referring to the plastic section blocked in red (it obviously extends either side into the pipe) - this plastic section is in-line with the pipe and has a male and female section. This is the bit I am trying to seperate.

I find that a long nose vice-grip makes light work of dealing with those spring loaded clamps.

Attachments

#16 ·
Got the one out, without knowing exactly what I did. The other one is still stuck.

Cannot get to the banjo fitting on the turbo with the engine in the car anyway, so it will have to come out :( will do the test fit of the Zetec engine and gearbox at the same time to make it worth the effort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.