MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions really, firstly, were heated seats ever an option on the tf's? I sat in mine the other day, in the freezing cold, and to my suprise my back was all nice n toasty :D I've had a look under the seats and sure enough theres a load of unexplained wiring leading into them (Unless thats for something totally different)

And secondly, has anyone retrofitted a/c into their tf, if so, how much of a job was it? I've heard it cuts into the passenger footwell? true?

cheers!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Retro fitting aircon is a nightmare! Might not be so bad if you have a donor car, but the airbox is different as well as some cooling pipes, not nice.

You should have wires to underneath the seat as the seatbelt pretensioners are wired there. There should only be 2 wires for this job though, 4 at the most. If you have more than 4 wires, hen i could safely assume that you have the heated seats. It was never an option i don't think, but it wasa comon aftermarket accessory.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,117 Posts
There was/is a MGR kit for heated seats, the on/off switch is mounted next to the foot-well lights.

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Heated seats can cause impotance apparently. Warming the parts other heaters don't reach. Is you an impotant person?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I have A/C......and very pleased I have too...:bgrin:, I did ask when at Brown and Gammons about how hard to retro fit, they said a nightmare and very expensive too, also, it does cut into passenger footwell space too but not by too much......heated seats.....i've had 'em too in the past, you need to retro fit yourself but apparently not too hard a job

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heated seats can cause impotance apparently. Warming the parts other heaters don't reach. Is you an impotant person?

I'm very impo'tant, I'm practically a VIP :err:

Cheers, I'll check for the on/off switch tomorrow, passangers always comment about their legs getting too warm, I've never really noticed as i generally wear thick clothes when cold and never notice when its generally warm!

I just had a look under the chairs again and there are 6 cables running around under there so I guess someone DID put them in. Fitting and part cost aside, does retrofitted aircon effect performance in anyway?

cheers again

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
It will effect fuel consumption and may sap a little power. Wether it will be noticeable or not is another thing. You don't get anything for nothing. Damn you laws of physics.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Air con

I've got the possibility of getting all the air con system from a a scrapped F for £350... is this a good deal?
I wonder how difficult it really is? I've already done the 'everything out' job to replace the interior including the dash with the two tone beige lot, so I didnt think that was dificult, just lengthy!
Anyone wanna shed some light on it maybe?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Be sure to get everything for the A/C, it's a simple system but there are a lot of parts required like the refridgerent pipes running the length of the floor under the car (they are clipped outboard of the engine coolant pipes). Alternator mount will be slightly different and uses a longer drive belt. Condenser is sighted in front of the engine radiator, evaporator is attached to side of the heater and hangs down in passenger foot well. It also takes up some glove box space so be sure to get that as well.
Shouldn't be too difficult to fit as relatively easy to get to but will take quite a few hours work.:) :spanner:
As for having it on an F/TF I recommend it, keeps it clear of misting when the roof is up:D .

·
Registered
mg_tf
739 Posts
the performance isn't too badly affected what happens is that there is more work on the motor so the revs drop faster when pushing in the clutch to change gears this results in a more noticeable gear change. As said above very little glove box is left and the passenger foot well has an air box in it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Having just fitted a MGF kit to a 05 TF the mechanical items are the same and will fit the later cars..however the electrics are completly different and unless you are very adept at electronics , reading wiring diagrams and making wiring looms you will find it more than a few hours work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts