MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just got a 2nd hand hardtop and when I got home realised that it should have come with a cable that connects to 2 points on the heated rear screen, which in turn should attach to the cable hidden somewhere in the parcel shelf of my 54 reg TF.

Phoned the bloke and although I seem to remember seeing it on his car, he is now avoiding me!

Does anyone know where I can get this cable from, or can I make it up?

Also, I have a few stonechips and after reading some threads I will probably use the "pin method" of applying the paint. Trouble is that one of the chips is fairly deep and a small rust spot has appeared (2mm).....Whats my best way of sorting this without having to scrape at it ?

Enjoy your weekend,

Justin

·
Registered
mgf
250 Posts
I wouldn’t know where to get one from but I reckon you could easily make something up if you managed to get hold of the mating connection piece and a bit of soldering.
When I got my hardtop I broke one of my wires off fitting a new seal, never repaired it though, I found that the front centre vents did a good enough job when pointed in the right direction :D .

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Yep, the only tricky part is the mating connector. If you have one of these then it is a simple pair of spade connectors and a couple of wires.

Curious as to why it was missing though, do you have provenance for the top? Only there have been spates of them being stolen and if a top is simply unclipped and pulled off of a car, the hardtop part of the wiring loom is likely to remain attached to the car and the spade connectors will pull off the rear screen element. I am not suggesting yours is 'hot', but it might be worth looking into (you don't want Mr. Plod knocking at your door).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone who needs the Hardtop wiring (wire from Heated screen to cars wiring) this is available at Browns and Gammons,

cheers,

justin

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
Useful to know, for that :cus: moment when you realise that you have forgotten disconnect the wire when removing the HT.

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
Where is the connection inside the car? I have read on previous threads that its by the parcel shelf somewhere or the carpet behind the seats?

I remember in my F that the connection was sat on the parcel shelf cos previous owner used a HT, but where do i look for mine?

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
PaulaM said:
Where is the connection inside the car? I have read on previous threads that its by the parcel shelf somewhere or the carpet behind the seats?

I remember in my F that the connection was sat on the parcel shelf cos previous owner used a HT, but where do i look for mine?
it will be lurking behind the passenger seat, on the outside, under the carpet type shelf.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
PaulaM said:

Paula

It will be in the same place as your previous car except under the parcel shelf matting rather than on top. The wire is so short it can't move too far. Just make sure that you don't nip the wire in the hood frame when you pull it through.

·
Registered
mgf
2 Posts
window wire

Hi,

Just got a 2nd hand hardtop and when I got home realised that it should have come with a cable that connects to 2 points on the heated rear screen, which in turn should attach to the cable hidden somewhere in the parcel shelf of my 54 reg TF.

Phoned the bloke and although I seem to remember seeing it on his car, he is now avoiding me!

Does anyone know where I can get this cable from, or can I make it up?

Also, I have a few stonechips and after reading some threads I will probably use the "pin method" of applying the paint. Trouble is that one of the chips is fairly deep and a small rust spot has appeared (2mm).....Whats my best way of sorting this without having to scrape at it ?

Enjoy your weekend,

Justin
you can bye them on eBay for £10:99 post free just type in search box heated window wire for mgtf

1 - 10 of 10 Posts