MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I got few issues I have both a 214 and a 216. The 214 has been whacked frontend but runs fine having covered 95k. The 216 needs a head but having covered only 32k is mint just needs top end. Would I be able to take the head from the 214 and put it onto the 216. Or do I need a head for a 1.6. Also out of interest how much would I be looking at paying for a head. By the way there both 16v. Info appreciated

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Will fit straight on. If the tensioner type is different you will need a new belt. Recommend you change it anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thats brill belt will be replaced along with all gaskets and head bolts if im doing it might as well do it right. While were on the subject is the actual compression chamber size determined by how big the bottom end stroke is rather than the diametre of the cylinder. Im guessing it is as if it was diametre the heads wouldnt be interchangable.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Yep, as Ashy says.

Heads are the same.

Worth doing the waterpump whilst you have it apart.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
ok thats brill belt will be replaced along with all gaskets and head bolts if im doing it might as well do it right. While were on the subject is the actual compression chamber size determined by how big the bottom end stroke is rather than the diametre of the cylinder. Im guessing it is as if it was diametre the heads wouldnt be interchangable.
No the only difference in the 1.4 and the 1.6 is the bore is larger, only the 1.8 has a longer stroke.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up using same head from the car in the end. Took it off 8 bent exhaust valves as if timing was slightly out. So replaced them along with all new valve stem oil seals and oil seals on cams. Got it back on took the bottom pulley off to do cam belt. Then crank toothed pulley for the cam belt just fell off. Down to nearly shearing off and having lots of play. Got new toothed pulley for crank. Put that on seemed a good fit but slight play still down to crank being slightly effected by the pulley being loose. So whacked aload of lock tight on it put it on. Then when i came to do the pulley bolt up that goes in crank. Did that up as tight as i could managed to get it to 230 lb ft. Started up on second crank. So crossed fingers im rocking and rolling once its had its Mot and been taxed. While im here wheres best place to put pictures of the car up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts