MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find my eyes either focusing at the Speedo and Rev counter or the road ahead in my MGF. Unlike my 75 where I can read the instruments and see the road simultaineously. It's all due to the poor ergonomics of the MGF the positioning of the instruments and the seat height all conspire to make for a look up / look down driving experience.

I bought a Chinese heads up display unit brand new for £17 inc postage. I mounted it dead central just under the windscreen in front of the MG logo. Since the dashboard tilts backwards at this point it projects a clear single image on the glass and there is no need for the ugly stick on anti- reflect plastic patch that comes with the device. The wire tucks in the gap by the screen so is completly hidden. I have added a small leather covered cardboard eye screen in front of the unit such that I can't see it's box from the seated positions L or R.

It is clear and easy to read the display day or night. It dims or brightens itself automatically.

When I get in the car and turn the key before the engine is started it auto starts and displays the battery voltage. When the engine runs it shows the digital road speed and bar graph engine revs overtop. There is also a nice indicator of engine temperature more acurate than the temp gauge.

I have set an alarm to go off at 100 degrees C and 90mph which encourages me to go easy with the car.

The device has controls that allow for the main display to show live engine temp in degrees C. It has controls to simplify the display or add more items and configure the thing for the car which was easy to do.

When one turns off the ignition for 10 seconds it shows the trip distance then auto shuts down.

So am I pleased with the thing? Very much so I use it to ensure a gentle warm up of the engine at the start of my voyages and find I keep my eyes focussed on the road ahead all the time.

For whole journeys I just look forward it is no doubt a major saftey improvement over before. It is easy to keep within 30mph speed limits etc.

The disadvantages are that the passenger can easily see what speed youre going! also I forget to check the main instruments and have nearly run out of petrol twice!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
X5 Car HUD Head Up Display Digital Speedometer OBD 2 Scanner Diagnostic Tool

Type that into Ebay. It should have white numbers and white/red revs band.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts