MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why do modern cars and vans have such horrible headlight shapes and designs.
take the new fiat ducato/citroen relay they are absolutly hideous!!!!
what happened to nice simple designs?

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Does safety play a part at all - you know how crazy all the designers go when creating a safe environment to sit in. Maybe instead of just squares designers are going all curvy. It might be a fashion thing?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Probably fashion...but they will obviously say "its safe innit!" if you ask the car companies.
Give it 4 years and ill be out working for a car company working for you guys!

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
I blame Ford, they started the trend with Focus and now most companies are taking it to the extreme particularly Peugeot and Vauxhall.

Huge headlamps which travel up the wings and bonnet towards the windscreen are shockingly ugly, thankfully some are resisiting the trend such as Audi and Honda with their normal sleek headlamp designs.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Round ones are the best, like on a series 3 XJ6, or a Bentley Turbo R.

I think the headlamp thing is because modern cars are so similar it's the one place designers get to be expressive. It's also a consequence of all cars having to look Japanese to sell these days (god knows why, Japanese designers appear to be blind.)

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Londonbabe said:
Round ones are the best, like on a series 3 XJ6, or a Bentley Turbo R.

I think the headlamp thing is because modern cars are so similar it's the one place designers get to be expressive. It's also a consequence of all cars having to look Japanese to sell these days (god knows why, Japanese designers appear to be blind.)
Agreed. When MGR lost the quad lights in the facelift they lost a degree of exclusivity and started to look more like many other euroboxes.

David Lee Newsham said:
Huge headlamps which travel up the wings and bonnet towards the windscreen are shockingly ugly, thankfully some are resisiting the trend such as Audi and Honda with their normal sleek headlamp designs.
When I first saw that style I didn't think "Trendy modern design", I thought more chance of stone damage and headlight replacement...

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Londonbabe said:
It's also a consequence of all cars having to look Japanese to sell these days (god knows why, Japanese designers appear to be blind.)
Subaru impreza springs to mind.......
The original one with the wraparound lights looked gorgeous, so rather than take a 'if it aint broke...' approach on the restyle they put the HIDEOUS frogeye ones in!!! Go figure...... :lol:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
See, I don't actually like round headlights.
It has too many connotations to BMW. I always thought that the *5 range of rovers looked too much like BMWs (and with reason, obviously).

I've always been a fan of sleek headlights like the MK2 400, coupe, and despite how annoying they are, the MK3 punto (or SV!) headlights are cool too.

The new ones on these citroens that stretch halfway up the bonnet are awful.

I think the things that are annoying me recently are the "novelty" headlights that some cars have, like the top-of-the-range new mini projectors. They're daft.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
LuCkY said:
Subaru impreza springs to mind.......
The original one with the wraparound lights looked gorgeous, so rather than take a 'if it aint broke...' approach on the restyle they put the HIDEOUS frogeye ones in!!! Go figure...... :lol:
that was chris bangles fault......hes to blame for the silly bmw headlights too

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
dazultra2000 said:
See, I don't actually like round headlights.
It has too many connotations to BMW. I always thought that the *5 range of rovers looked too much like BMWs (and with reason, obviously).
Actually Rover had those quad round headlights before BMW.

The new ones on these citroens that stretch halfway up the bonnet are awful.
Get used to them, there a necesity due to EU pedestrian safety laws.

I think the things that are annoying me recently are the "novelty" headlights that some cars have, like the top-of-the-range new mini projectors. They're daft.
Hmmm...

Also the round headlights probably go back to this:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts