MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rover 100 is blowing air up through the expansion box of the cooling system. Am I right in thinking the head gasket has failed?
Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
DenYax said:
My Rover 100 is blowing air up through the expansion box of the cooling system. Am I right in thinking the head gasket has failed?
Thanks for your help
Not necessarily. There's a thread on this site where someone was contemplating spending up to 500 quid for a head gasket renewal.... after checking the basics first, the problem was sorted with a 6 quid expansion bottle cap. Could be something simple so check the 'usual suspects' first. Your car will at least need its cooling system to be properly bled to eliminate any air trapped in the system. That could be bad news if you continue to run the car.

One thing is certain, running the car and failing to rectify the reason for any coolant losses and you'll need a new cylinder head gasket or much more eventually .... on any car.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
I got my son's Rover Metro MoT-ed yesterday. I watched as the tester spent about 15 minutes adjusting things trying to get the emissions down to the pass level. Which was good of him - no charge either - I've used this helpful MoT station for over ten years. During that time the engine was idling in the hot workshop it started to expel coolant past the expansion bottle cap. I had turned the heater fully off on the way to the test and as the radiator fan did not come on ( something for my son to check later ) the coolant simply got hotter and hotter in that warm workshop expanding with nowhere to go except past the cap.... Only about half a teacupful trickled out but anyone seeing this would be concerned.

The car passed by the way - indeed the tester remarked what a well kept example it was considering its age....K-Reg. There were two advisories... a little play in the nearside radius arm bush and likewise on the front offside ball joint. Not fails but will need attention. That makes three jobs for my son to attend to. The tester suggested that simply greasing the radius arm bush via the nipple should sort it.

There are good professionals about ... Over the years, I've recommended this small oufit to dozens of folks for work or MoT on their cars. All have found as I have done ... very satisfactory service.

I enjoyed the 15 mile round trip for the MoT. Forgot what a little flyer this car was and the way it handled. My son has upgraded the car during the years he's had it. GTi interior and seats, electric windows even an MGF drivers mirror with illumination. Despite the lack of power compared to what I normally drive, the car was a joy to drive...

So, no, not necessarily ..;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts