MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a quick question about my header tank. I'm new to MG's. My F is my first (however Dad had a B back in the day!)

When I first got my car a few weeks ago the header tank was completly dry... Luckily (apparently) I was driving motorways and stuff before I noticed, so apparently that stopped it overheating; but I digress...

I've got into the habit of checking it daily now. and I make sure its not too low, but I went away to France over easter, was only away for 5 days, and when I get back the header tank is completly empty again. The car has not moved :-(

Is this normal? Im not really sure what to do now. I did notice after the drive to work that the engine was hot (water temp right bang smack in the middle, and oil ~120 deg) which is normal, it never goes above this on long drives and the header tank cap was leaking a little, so I am going to replace this;

Thanks for any and all advice.

Scott Macleman

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
Welcome :)

No it's not normal and it is not a good idea to keep driving the car like this (can't see motorway driving helping), but it sounds like your problem is down to the leaking cap so I would get a new one ASAP. The water temp could be a tad high. What is the oil like, does it still look like oil?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi Scott!

Check the condition of your radiator aswell (bit age dependent), mine went not long ago. i was loosing coolant, though not at the rate you seem to be, and at first the leak was not apparent. after 2 months or so of owning my f the rad failed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weird thing is that it does not loose much water normally, it was just after it sat for 5 days not moving :-(

I might book it in for an oil change this week.

Would pressure testing the coolant system help? I ran the car to hot and then put it in the garage earlier but saw no leaks ect....

and now you mention it, I checked the oil after I bought the car and it has been over filled...

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
I would defo get the coolant system pressure tested.

What does the oil look like, oil or coffee?

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Welcome :)

No it's not normal and it is not a good idea to keep driving the car like this (can't see motorway driving helping), but it sounds like your problem is down to the leaking cap so I would get a new one ASAP. The water temp could be a tad high. What is the oil like, does it still look like oil?
THe cap would not allow the coolant to drian when not used for 5 days. I suspect underfloor pipes or radiator, as above.

Sometimes you will not see leaks when hot due to things expanding, but once cold, even a small gap would allow leakage. Have ytou not noticed any puddles under the car. 5 days for the header tank to completely empty seems like it should be visible somewhere?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have a close look tonight for signs of leaks or puddles. Unfortunatly during the 5 days it was parked on gravel.

No signs of Mayo, and the oil looks like oil, except its not black just slightly dark and see through(ish).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again,

After finding a puddle under the front passanger side wheel, I got it in to be pressure tested early.

They found that the radiator was leaking, so I need a new one.

Thanks for all the advice.

Scott

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Hi again,

After finding a puddle under the front passanger side wheel, I got it in to be pressure tested early.

They found that the radiator was leaking, so I need a new one.

Thanks for all the advice.

Scott
be sure to fit a TF rad, they are superior to the F rad ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah... im not fitting it, there is a garage by me that has serviced the car since '97 or so thats buying / fitting it

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,999 Posts
You could ask them to fit a TF rad, although I think you may get a TF rad by default if it's coming from Xpart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts