MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
rover_sd1
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I discovered why there are so many head failures on the rover MG . I think it is because the first torque value although good for new engines it is not for heads that have over heated due to leaks.
I discovered that first torque is not enough of a check. After first torque wait 20 minutes and recheck the torques. I found that the gasket had settled and the torqued head bolts had lost 20% of torque value.
In this instance I redid the torques and waited another 20 minutes to find the same happened again.

It was only after I did the second torque did the gasket stabiles I them proceeded to to toque as per manual specs.

Understand that I do not know if this happens on all rovers but in this instance this was these second gasket change in as many years.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
if the engine has over heated then the head is most likely scrap
Correct however one would have to have driven a long way for that to happen by which time the engine would have most likely ceased.

In truth how many shops or people have an electronic Brinell tester? I just happen to be one of the lucky ones who have such.

How would the man in the street who does his own repairs know that such tests exist or the value of harness of such a head? How can he tell if that head from a scrappy is the right hardness?

Rightly or wrongly I am of the opinion we have to be practical, making suggestions to those who follow the books without understanding the associated problems and possible solutions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts