MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had a head gasket go on their ZT. It appears according to the AA that my head gasket has blown. Me thinks it is an expensive job. I know my ZT has a lot of miles on it 114000 but its worth it. I do love my ZT and i dont want to loose it or repace it. This is the first breakdown,what other car could cover this distance without a single stoppage?.I am not very mechanical
so dont know what is involved.
 

·
Registered
mg_zt
Joined
·
388 Posts
I had a gasket fail on my 75 2.5 tourer at 40000 miles. It was the head at the rear of the engine bay.

Both heads were removed and sent away for checking and returned with a clean bill of health.

The cost, including all new drive belts was around £1,100 at Vospers (ex Richardsons/EMG) in Tiverton.

The same mechanic who worked on mine is still there and has worked for MG Rover and dealers for many years.

Having said that, the car has subsequently been returned to remedy 2 oil leaks.

As you are not too far from Dr Dave, why not ask if he can do the job for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
laser558 said:
I had a gasket fail on my 75 2.5 tourer at 40000 miles. It was the head at the rear of the engine bay.

Both heads were removed and sent away for checking and returned with a clean bill of health.

The cost, including all new drive belts was around £1,100 at Vospers (ex Richardsons/EMG) in Tiverton.

The same mechanic who worked on mine is still there and has worked for MG Rover and dealers for many years.

Having said that, the car has subsequently been returned to remedy 2 oil leaks.

As you are not too far from Dr Dave, why not ask if he can do the job for you?
Thanks for the info,looks like my credid card will take a bashing!!. Vospers/ex richardsons is my local main dealer thats were i bought the car from in 2001.
I live in Hemyock so my wife has asked our village garage to look at it today,if they cant do it i will get the AA to take over to Vospers. I diddnt know Dr Dave did this sort of thing also dont know where he is based.
 

·
Registered
mg_zt
Joined
·
388 Posts
Dr Dave worked at Dobles in Hemyock until recently (and previously at Richardsons), and lives at Wellington I believe.

You would need to contact him privately now.

Good luck.

How driveable is the car at the moment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
laser558 said:
Dr Dave worked at Dobles in Hemyock until recently (and previously at Richardsons), and lives at Wellington I believe.

You would need to contact him privately now.

Good luck.

How driveable is the car at the moment?
The AA advised not to drive it allthough it started up ok this morning with no strange noises. as i said earlier our local garage (not Dobles)who are BMW specialists are putting it on test and i will get a verdict later today. They would probably be cheaper than Vospers and not so far to go if anything should go wrong. Thanks for your help and hopefully i will get it back soon before withdrawel symptoms set in.
 

·
Registered
mg_zt
Joined
·
388 Posts
I think you'll find that a BMW specialist will not have the correct specialist tools for the job.

There are tools specific to the V6 needed to keep all the moving parts correctly aligned whilst the engine is worked on I understand.

Check out some of the ealier threads in the gurus section regarding changing thermostat, water pump and drive belts whilst it is all in bits.

Personally, I would not trust a non MG specialist to work on the engine.

I wish you luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are quite right they cannot do the gasket, but a strange thing they had it on test and no fluctuation in temp. they also took it out for a thrash again no fluctuation of temp. Picked it up last night and drove to work this morning approx 30miles,no overheating no strange noises. It is looking like perhaps the AA got it wrong.I will keep my eye on the guages though. if i have any further probs i will get it to Tiverton. Thanks again for your input.
 

·
Registered
mg_zt
Joined
·
388 Posts
Wow - what a result!!

What were the symptoms when you called out the AA?

On mine the problem started without any sign of overheating - just that the cooling fan came on when it was not needed (e.g. air con off and driving at 50mph with outside temperature at 2 degrees).

Eventually the fan seemed to come on most of the time and ultimately there was a sudden move to engine overheat one sunny afternoon when the aircon was on.

It seems that the symptoms can be less obvious than just water/oil mix. In my case it was exhaust gasses getting into the cooloing system.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was in Taunton sat in a q and the temp gauge suddenly went up to the red light. Turned engine off. Caused a large traffic jam in Station rd the AA did a test with a bottle type device on the water filler hole.He was at it for ages befor e he said it is likely that it is the head gasket. When i picked up the car from local garage they had removed the relays fuses etc, checked the water and run the engine for two hrs with air con on and no temp increase. Still will keep eyes on the guage and keep my fingers crossed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Mike 190 mk2 said:
I was in Taunton sat in a q and the temp gauge suddenly went up to the red light. Turned engine off. Caused a large traffic jam in Station rd the AA did a test with a bottle type device on the water filler hole.He was at it for ages befor e he said it is likely that it is the head gasket. When i picked up the car from local garage they had removed the relays fuses etc, checked the water and run the engine for two hrs with air con on and no temp increase. Still will keep eyes on the guage and keep my fingers crossed

My Dad's ZT-T 190 done the exact same thing..... apparantly its a temprature sensor and the O-Ring wears causing a false reading...

His is not been repaired yet there is a back order on the o-rings ... but car is running fine just now !!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top