MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im new to the forum and i have a question about fitting a new HG to a `98 model 214 16v K- Series. Im farmiliar with the engines design so what precausions do i need to take to stop the bottom of the engine falling out when i undo the head bolts? Also i was wondering as an idea would it be worth while re-torqueing the head bolts at every service after replacing the bolts to ensure the stretch of the bolts doesnt blow the gasket again.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi,
Don't worry the bottom of the engine won't fall out when you take the head bolts out - it can't :lol: and don't retorque them either.

Oh and welcome...

DaveH

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
As said, The oil ladder is held in place with a couple of small bolts so the bottom end doesn't drop off.
Torque bolts shouldn't be re-torqued.
Although I do think that they might relax due to the length of the bolt.
Still it's not recommended to re-tighten them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again,
Ive encountered a problem, when i was stripping the engine down i was hoping to get away with pulling the head off without undoing the engine mount by the cambelt. It looks as though the belt cover securing bolts for the top half are right down the bottom conveniantly placed so that it looks as though the engine mount, drive pulley and bottom cambelt cover has to come off to reach them. Are my observations correct or will the belt cover pull apart when the head comes off? Im hoping to cheat and take the head off without removing the engine mount and bottom cambelt cover assembly. Is this possible?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
You do not need to undo the mount.

The cambelt cover is un upper and lower part.
Undo the bolts for the upper half and pull it away then you will be able to see the head can come off with engine mount in place.
If you are replacing the cambelt then yes the mount needs to be undone to get the belt off/on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts