MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rover 25 2001 1.6 (65k miles)

just had my gasket replaced, spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, timing belt, head skimmed & fuel filter.
also oil and coolant

engine sounds very very nice after leaving it running in driveway for a good 30 mins then revving it up to ensure fans start

my burning question is should i sell the car quickly or pray that the repairs hold and keep it.

How much life do i expect to get from a new gasket.

also are there any tests i can do to ensure the repair went well?

please help :)

·
Registered
rover_25
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i do appreciate the replys guys but would there be any chance of a reply to him me decide wether to keep the car or sell it?

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
i do appreciate the replys guys but would there be any chance of a reply to him me decide wether to keep the car or sell it?
Who can say? Providing the person/garage that did the job, had expertise in this area, didn't use cost cutting measures, and did a thorough, proper job, there is no reason why the new gasket shouldn't now be on the car for good.

Providing you service and manitain correctly too, it should be perfectly ok.

I'm a very strong believer on this, and it's just my opionion, but if you take an engine apart, and fit anything new, gasket, new piston etc etc, best to take it easy for 500 miles or so, just to let everything bed down again.

IMHO of course.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
As a matter of interest did it blow ie overheat engine or other symptoms. Just interested as the 2001 25's onwards were supposed to be more robust.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
CJZR105+ said:
Who can say? Providing the person/garage that did the job, had expertise in this area, didn't use cost cutting measures, and did a thorough, proper job, there is no reason why the new gasket shouldn't now be on the car for good.

Providing you service and manitain correctly too, it should be perfectly ok.

I'm a very strong believer on this, and it's just my opionion, but if you take an engine apart, and fit anything new, gasket, new piston etc etc, best to take it easy for 500 miles or so, just to let everything bed down again.

IMHO of course.
Splendid observations and advice ... about ANY car engine repair. A quick blast up the motorway when one of the coolant hose fasteners has not been .... you know the rest. Even the most competent of Humans can make errors or overlook something important.

Take it easy until you're confident all is well.

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
If it lasts 3 months, the job was probably done right and the new gasket should last longer than the old one. (but if a hose should burst, it will fail again ;) )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts