MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ach well had to happen eventually :eek:uch: . I had the displeasure of coming to a juntion at the end of the motorway and have the engine cut with the temp through the roof.

I LOVE my 218is. Sad I know, but true.
I dont mind spending the money on it AT ALL.
The mileage is high at 100k but i want it to last so lets get it right i say!
I could buy a newer fancy car but i like the fun factor of the current car plus its extras.

I have someone in mind to look at it but I have to do the shopping myself. I have read as much as possible but i think doing so has helped to confuse me, what i need is a list, a definitive order almost, I guess doing this here may help some others as well.

So, my shopping list ...

Must have items:

Gasket - LVB500190P - £20 - www.rimmerbros.co.uk
Headbolts - P number ?
Antifreeze - Please adivse specifc type ?

Optional (Im Confused!) Parts:

Cambelt - LHN100560 or CDU2749 , i cant tell which width i have ?
Cam locking tool - £5 ?
Waterpump - ?
Plastic dowels ?
sump gasket ?
inlet/exhaust manifold gaskets ?

Oil Rail - LCN000140L - £30.67 - rimmerbros
Rimmer Service Kit - RP1009 - £30 - rimmerbros (Air/Oil Filter/Plugs/Sump washer - may as well get one while ordering)

Im confused, a lot. What comes in the gasket kit, just the gasket or do i have to source the other parts as well?

I also read this (from dr Dave i think):
"Upgrade the manifold with the modified gasket & studs/locknuts", not sure if mine had it done and might be the cause of the problem? Can i see without opening it up to check?

Also i think the rear wheel bearings are goosed, where can i get them from?

If there is anything i have missed or you would consider adding as a nice to have then please please do shout away, i will likely add it if sensible.

As you can tell im completely useless at this stuff :banghead: mainly because there are options, if its laid out for me its all pretty easy really, that said i dont want to use and abuse and would like the information here for others to see in the near future when it happens to them.

Many thanks for any help, has to be the warmest welcoming forum i have read.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyone? :wavecry:
If I cant get this sorted my nice car will have to be squished :(
There is a lot of HGF info on this Forum, so have a search about!
Im no expert so your list sounds good to me:D

-=D=-

PS: I have one just like yours, HGF at 130000 KM, fixed it at a garage (860€), the car is dandy now and im happy!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey pal, glad you got yours sorted, thats great.

Yes i have read soooo much about it, but as i said probably too much!
For example theres lots of links to different gaskets on ebay etc.

I dont mind spending £500 to have it fixed really well but just want to ensure that when i do i get all the little extras done at the same time, for example the timing belt.

Its old and i dont want to spend that money and have something else go badly.

Just the essentials please anyone? Many thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rich,

Thanks, Yes it does, I read it a few times before as well, I just want to confirm part numbers and whether I should change other parts ...

Cambelt
Water pump

And I dont have scooby what the part numbers to order are ?!

Basically I have someone to do the job (kindly for me) but the agreement is I get most the parts sorted myself to save the busy chap the hastle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts