MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get over this? Head gasket leaking three liners are at .002 above block and one at .001 or a bit less.
Shims available are .004 so three will be .006 and one at .005. I have a new head on the engine

Any suggestions welcome thinner shims maybe?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Have a chat with Dave Allkins of 'MG Rover Mobile Mechanics'. He is an expert engine rebuilder so should be able to give you the best advice. He has a great reputation for K-series issues.

·
Registered
mg_tf
234 Posts
A good machine shop should be able to surface grind them to whatever thickness you want. The question is where and how much.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Question is how do I get a .001 shim or at best a .002 shim- has anyone done this?
As far as I'm aware you can only get .004. I've used these a few times on engine I've done and never had a problem or though you can't believe how thin they are they're like a piece of paper so I can't imagine any machine shop would be able to thin them at all would probably just break. If your liners are .002 from my experience at MLS gasket will work. On the paperwork that used to come with the payen gasket it said they were fine to use as long as the liners hadn't sunk and were level

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Have you tried a decent elastomer type gasket? They are more forgiving than MLS type w.r.t. differing liner heights. Payen are a commonly praised brand.
100% this ^^^^^^^^^

Stick it all back together again, it will be fine.

I'm impressed you even managed to measure such small differences!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts