MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi. my head gasket has gone. now I known that this is a common problem. and i know that you are tired to anserw about this problem. but help me please!!!!. what gasket is best one? how much is it? where is the best place around evesham (worcs.) to do this? and what to do to not let this happen again? (sorry abaut my english. Im from abord). many thanks. mike
MG TF 2002 33000miles

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Use the Land Rover gasket if possible. I don't know anyone by name in Worcs area by name, but Petevick should be able to help with that.

There is no sure fire way of preventing it happen again, you can only get the head skimmed and pressure tested before re-fitment and keep your eye on coolant levels.

I would be interested to see why the gasket blew, did you have any coolant loss? Leaks? Pressurizing? etc etc

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
I ahve begun to see more threads and apeak to more people who say that the LR ione is not the best unless you have a perfect unskimmed head, and that the MK3 is better for post-skim work?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I would always recommend the head to be skimmed anyway if it has been removed from a HG failed car. Purely for sanities sake, as it is a pain in the assto do the job twice if the head had been cracked!

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
This is from the MGZR forum. I preusme the same goes for Fs?

I have seen others somewhere and heard people at meets talking about it too. Perhaps all for Zs though :dunno:

There's a lot more labour involved in fitting the Land Rover gasket, as the ladder has to be replaced to compensate for the thicker head gasket. If the Land Rover gasket kit is not fitted correctly (and I've heard of a few) then it can cause more problems than fitting the latest MGR gasket.

BTW We always use the MGR gaskets, new head bolts and polish the head surface.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The only difference between the ladders is that one is steel i believe or the threaded part where the head bolts fit is steel. It was esigned to stop stripping the threads off the headbolts i was told.
all i can say is, i have had the LR gasket fitted without the ladder for about 8-9 months in my F, have uprated the power to over manufacturers specs and had 140mph as well as 7,800 rpm out of it. I can't fault it, and although it is still early days, i am glad i fitted the LR one of the MGR one. It even looks more thought out!

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
To be honest, I would trust you over anyone else.

If anyone is interested there is a thread here with over 30 pages on the issue.

I lost the will to live after about 4 pages, so still dont know any more :lol:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I can only go by experience, so far that experience has been very good, and touch wood it will last, but as you know there is no definate cure. It's like finding a cure for baldness or being fat... were nearly there and several things help, but there is no 100% way of curing it forever!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
all i can say is, i have had the LR gasket fitted without the ladder for about 8-9 months in my F, have uprated the power to over manufacturers specs and had 140mph as well as 7,800 rpm out of it. I can't fault it, and although it is still early days, i am glad i fitted the LR one of the MGR one. It even looks more thought out!

Have a read of Robs site.....

Fiting the LR gasket without the new oil rail will only give 75% of the clamping forces compared to the MG-R one, so is more prone to leak!!.

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/common_problems/hgf_pages/why_do_hgfs.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.