MG-Rover.org Forums banner

After installing the upgraded LAND ROVER Head gasket have you suffered a HGF again?

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be interesting to see how many of us that have used the upgraded Land Rover head gasket after suffering an HGF had again the same problem. Just to see whether it is really an improvement or not.

Also please state your mileage/kilometers done after the Land Rover gasket fitted.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Fitted LR Gasket myself after 3 days of ownership about 20 moths ago i reckon now. that was on 19k miles, now done 60k so that's about 40k miles on the new LR gasket with no problems at all :) and the head was not skimmed

all i have done since is make sure my oil is up to the right temp before i nail it but the car does get a fair amount of abuse once warmed up

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Myself used to be sooo careful about not reving umore than 3,000 when the car was below 90 C temp and I suffred the HG. Now with the LR gasket and after 30,000 km or 20,000 miles I really care less and abuse the car more. Not because I feel safe with the LR gaket but because my extreme care before did not prevent anything....:D

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Myself used to be sooo careful about not reving umore than 3,000 when the car was below 90 C temp and I suffred the HG. Now with the LR gasket and after 30,000 km or 20,000 miles I really care less and abuse the car more. Not because I feel safe with the LR gaket but because my extreme care before did not prevent anything....:D
yeah i'm nowhere near as careful as some people on here, I will sometimes take it to around 6k revs even when cold (sometimes i just can't help myself) but i don't go to 7.2k revs (limit) when cold. Other than that i usually take it easy until fully warmed up. taking it easy for me would be never above 4k revs and that's only because i live next to the motorway

·
Registered
mg_tf
243 Posts
I want to say I've not had a problem....but we all know what happens when you say something is working fine....

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I want to say I've not had a problem....but we all know what happens when you say something is working fine....
yeah there is that lol. although i did create a thread a while ago saying mine was running fine cos there where so many negative posts at the time and so far all is still running fine (touches wood *again*) :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Since July 2006, 14k miles and counting on the original oil rail, with original stretch bolts in a 1.8 Freelander (MEMS 1.9)
There are a couple of reports of failures from MG-Rover.org and Landyzone.co.uk, although its likely that the liners and head face were not checked in accordance with LR tech bulletin 0036, Ref L8935bu, Date 18.06.04
Surprisingly, there are also reports from a LR technician on Landyzone.co.uk of the new gasket removing any discrepancies in the head face.

·
Never forgotten
8,633 Posts
To early for me to report yet - replaced my HG at 98K in June 2007 with a Landrover Gasket, fitted new stretch bolts but retained the original oil rail - I suspect my original gasket failure was because of the very loose fitting plastic dowels.

I have now covered 5.5K......fingers crossed:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I must say that i have changed a fair few head gaskets and replaced them with the new MLS gaskets and have yet to have anyone come back which is quite a feat as some of my younger customers are less than subtle when it comes to there right foot screaming past the workshop minutes after picking there Rovers up and although i use the BGA version of the gasket made by LR i don't think that would make to much difference

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Good to hear these reports....

I remember when I found the LR gasket in the first place and reported it here.......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ive seen so may bad repairs as regards to Rover head gaskets where some people have even re-used the old type dowels and not replaced them with the new steel type then blamed the repair on the gasket. Like any repair the finished product is only be as good as the person that did the job, meticulous attention to the parts being fitted including rectification of any problems is the key, don't refit a warped head, check liner heights, make sure everything is clean and grease/oil free i always use new bolts but that's no strictly necessary if they measure up OK and make sure once the head is on that you bleed the system properly if these things are followed then you wont have a problem

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Haha - never refit a warped head - nor should you even refit a skimmed (was warped) head as the alloy would have got so hot, the alloy would have lost it's temper.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts