MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of removing the head bolts on my 200 but 4 are obscured by the camshafts. How do I get round this? Is it safe to turn the camshafts to allow access?

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the safe position?

I currently have it locked as the manual says so that the two dimples on the crakshaft sproket are either side of the the line on the block.

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am apprehensive of turning the camshafts in case the valves hit the pistons? How much can I turn them and which way? Will they move smoothly or 'jump' a bit because of the valve springs?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Don't worry mate they won't hit the pistons. You can turn them as much as you need and i always turn them clockwise which is the way they turn when engine is running otherwise you might work the bolts on the sprockets loose. They will jump when turning because of the springs, again this is nothing to worry about.

:) HTH

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just had a go at moving one of the camshafts and it jumped which worried me a bit because when it stopped I thought it might have hit the piston, hence the reason for stopping. I am flustered at the mo, thought I had bent the valves?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Give it another turn and it will turn so far and then jump which is perfectly normal. Once you get over this you'll be flying.

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will go and give at a go and report back. When it first jumped I went into panic mode, the job was going well up to this point.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
To turn the camshafts put a spanner on the sprocket bolt and turn as necessary. Doesn't matter if you need to turn back a little, just ensure they are torqued up afterwards.
There is no way you can hit the pistons as they are halfway down the bores and nowhere near the valves.

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replys guys, your advice is greatly appreciated. The head is now off with no signs of damage to the valves.
Gasket has gone in two places, will post some pics later on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts